Hybrid car choice - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Getting 75+ mpg from my diesel means running it for the long-term is far cheaper than getting an electric car .
Coupled with a 600+ mile range and paying just £6k for it very many tears ago it's a keep it going jobbie.
By the time I'll need a new one it will be hydrogen cars as electric cars are a fad...

Mrs O has an Auris hybrid. Averages about 58mpg over the year (better in the warmer months). Not that special really.

For me, one of the nice things about it is the seamless stop-start. This makes it very calm and restful to drive in heavy traffic as you don’t feel the ICE cut in and out.

The negative, as mentioned above, is the way the CVT gearbox lets the engine scream if you want to accelerate in a hurry

midlife

Guru
When we eventually need to replace our current ICE car, I was debating getting a hybrid.
As far as I understand, the advantage of a hybrid is that at low speeds e.g., in town traffic, the electric motor does the job, the ICE only cutting in at 'open road' speeds, thus economising on fuel consumption.
However, of the modest 5k. or so annual miles we cover, between 80 - 90% is open road driving, thus the electric motor probably wouldn't have much opportunity to do the business except in leaving home for the journey and occasionally in traffic holdups and so on. So aside from insurance & servicing costs which could tip the balance, would it be worth getting a hybrid for the very modest fuel saving, or simply stick to an ICE car - ? :whistle:
Just out of curiosity what would your budget be?

Daninplymouth

I had a Toyota 2.0 corolla before and loved the car and keep looking to get back into another or the chr. The 2.0 engine is quite nippy and i averaged about 50mpg, considering my 2ltr petrol I traded in averaged about 22mpg that’s a massive improvement. They are better suited around town but would do about 60mpg on a run and that was with the bigger wheels. I find the hybrids much more relaxing to drive in traffic

My wife had a Toyota CH-R for 4 years, 2018 onwards
She loved it, but it was like a coffin inside; black carpet, black leather seats, black head-lining
It had that ridiculous 'privacy glass; in the rear, when coupled with windows the rough size of a sheet of A4 paper, it was dire

Economy/MPG; maybe if she wasn't as lead-footed, it might have faired better?, it barely gave better than 45MPG (plus regular fill-ups due to a smallish tank), whereas my Octavia was £30VED, & it was a bad day, if the averages worked out on brimming the tank, were lower than 55MPG averages
Would she have another one?...YES!
Found these
She drove it off the showroom floor, they'd theatrically covered it with a sheet, as it was (supposed to have been) the first of the 'year model' that they'd sold

C-HR. 1.jpg

Managed to convince daughter, that it had a 'coffee machine'!!
C-HR. 4.jpg

A 'G-meter' on a hybrid!??!
Frippery!!
I did try to convince her that the object of it was to keep the red ball as close to the centre as possible, not 'hit off the table'!!

C-HR. 5.jpg

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Hydrogen motors, whether internal combustion, or fuel cell are already around as you say. However the elephant in the room are the costs and efficiencies of producing, storing and distributing hydrogen to where the end user is.

Also all the Hydrogen filling stations in California, the only place that had some, are now closed and won't be opening again.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I had an Outlander and now a Rav4. With a real world range of 40+ miles on battery, the Rav4 would be fine for bimbling about locally but any longer trips and hybrids are a complete waste of time. The Outlander returned 33mpg on an extended road trip to Spain and back, I suspect the Rav4 would be worse as it has a 2.5l petrol engine instead of a 2.3l

Top Bottom