Hybrid for commuting with significant hill with toddler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Thank you for all your wonderful advice. Please can I ask for a little more? I've found a lovely local bike shop that stocks Liv and at the moment they have the Alight City 2 in stock (https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/alight-2-city-disc) and the Alight City 3 coming in soon (https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/alight-3-city). Would I notice much difference between the two - i think main difference is disc brakes? I'm happy to wait for the slightly cheaper bike to come in.

The gearing is also different, the (cheaper) alight 3 has a triple chainring on front.

Personally, I have hydraulic disk brakes, and, find them more re-assuring that conventional rim brakes, but, I am sure there are those who would disagree.

Based on my wife's experience (she has the none disk brake version), for your purposes, I would say, go for that.

Whatever you choose... happy cycling!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The spec of the more expensive bike isn't worth the price differential imho, notwithstanding the desirable disc brakes. I think in your position I'd wait for the less expensive one to come into stock.

Tom B

Guru
I bought a cheapish hybrid about 8yrs ago as a put-me-on until I decided what I wanted. It's a Ridgeback Flight 01 -2013.

It was RRP about £600 but I picked it up for about £460.

It is still going.... For the last 3 years its been taking my toddler too. He goes to/from nursery on the bike, all weathers all the time.
It how we get around, be it to Nannas, Auntys, The shops or zooming around the countryside / seaside.

We've ridden Yorkshire, Cornwall, and Lanashire, tow paths, off road, NCN, roads and been on trains.

The bike as supplied comes with 700 x 28c wheels, no suspension and and old fashioned 28-38-48 MTB gearing, the only change I made was to put an 11 - 32 gearing cassette when the lad got a bit bigger. I live in an area not known for being flat and have tackled 1 in 4 gradients.
Being an 8 speed parts are nomally cheap as chips with chains £6, casettes £12 and cranksets £30.

We have done rides around the UK with the longest being about 60miles.

I have one of the hamax seats on the back - the recliner option is worth the extra.

I think if i was going to change anything to make it more kid specific id go go for fatter tyres, but the skinnyish 28s work for me when the seat is off.

My problem is we have another child on back order - due imminently. How am i going to get 2 of them around.

Attachments

• DSC_8505.jpg
    DSC_8505.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Top Bottom