Hybrid off the road-MTB commuing, hard work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
My Dawes Tanami needs a new sprocket which I should get on Wednesday, so it's off the road. I dug out the old MTB, a Raleigh Manta Ray, of a 7 or 8 year vintage. It was quite a cheap bike when I bought it, but hey, a bike's a bike? It's got no accessories fitted....no panniers, tool bag, water bottle, lights etc etc. So I taped on a spare tube, pump, spanner etc, a front torch light, and thought I'd get away with my helmet rear light and flashing led vest. Off I set. Cripes, the wide knobblies really make it hard work. Todays commute took 45 mins there and 50 mins back (usually 40 there and 45 on the hybrid) But it seemed a lot harder, and with no panniers to use, the rucksack gave me a terrible case of 'sweaty back'. One thing's for sure, if I had to use this bike regularly the tyres would be changed for something a lot smoother and skinnier. Although I did save a few seconds by going up/down kerbs where I'd normally have to go a bit further for the dropped kerb.

In summary.....if anyone commutes on mainly roads, with fat knobblies, it's blummin' hard work!

tallguy1

best thing i done was to get rid of the knobblies on mine feels quicker and seems to handle a lot better now

I've been on knobblies a few times, new bike (so not changed tyres yet), a few miles off road (but still mostly on road) and the recent weather (wasn't that bad really). I can make decent times, but I have to put more work into it... whereas on the road bike im hardly putting in much effort but still making good times. A bit better with the slicks on the MTB (which I use mostly) though after that the riding position makes me slightly more related, less likely to get out of the seat to climb etc.

So I say that half of it is just not being used to pushing it on that bike...

Top Bottom