Hydration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I did a 9 hour ride yesterday on 1 & 1/2 litres of water. Not clever. The last 20km, I was wrecked. No strength at all; crawling up climbs at 9kph where I'd normally be near twice that.

Getting the hydration right can be difficult; I have read recommendations of 1 litre per hour in hot weather and high effort to 500ml per hour as a starting point. I was some way short of that!

On the plus side, within 30 minutes of my return home; a litre of chocolate milk, a tin of mackerel and a shower, I was fine. Tired but fine. So I guess I fuelled correctly, and the muscles are up to the distance, but just need to get the hydration correct.

So folks, remember to keep sipping as you ride. :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1.5 litres in 9 hours....eek..... I went through 3 litres of energy drink in a 5 hour ride (4 bottles) - plus a 500ml bottle of water at the finish (including eating on the go) .... that's not enough fella.

Hats off though, 9 hours in the saddle - how far was that.....

OP
OP
Y

yello

200km, 8.5 hour ride time.

I set out with 850ml and 650ml bidons, thinking I'd top them up somewhere. I didn't. More's the worry, I didn't really feel like I needed to!

But a lesson well learned. I'm now trying to work how much I should aim to drink as I go, in terms I can easily understand. A couple of mouthfuls every 10 minutes or some such.

jimboalee

As a general rule of thumb, 4 kCals usage gives off 1g of water.

The kCals need to be replaced ( if you are not trying to lose fat ) and the same amount of water.

eg. 1 hour gentle ride @ 12.5ish mph = 330 ml can of Coke. :smile:

Top Bottom