Hydraulic brakes on drop bars!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
How fast you can stop is limited by the point at which your front wheel locks. Standard rim brakes are perfectly capable of locking the wheel, so more powerful brakes aren't going to stop you any faster.

Advantages of disc brakes over rim brakes:
a) less hand pressure required for same braking effect. Going slowly down something long and steep can be quite tiring on the hands.
:smile: relatively unaffected by mud and water
c) minor wheel buckles have no effect.
d) no rim wear

Disadvantages of disc brakes
a) can eject the front wheel
:biggrin: easier to lock the front wheel (a locked front wheel is likely to result in a nasty crash)
c) require stiff fork blades
d) pads not standardized, so you can't pick up the right spare in any random bike shop

The main advantage from a road point of view is reliable braking in wet weather. It can be wet enough that rim brakes won't clear the water of the rim as fast as it gets back on, in which case you've effectively got no brakes.

Disc brakes on (real) racing bikes aren't going to happen. Rim brakes are plenty good enough except for the occasional very wet day, whoever adopted them first could wave bye bye to neutral service, and probably the UCI wouldn't like them being present in a mass pile-up scenario (chainrings are also sharp, but they are often protected by the chain, and anyway are necessary, which disc brakes aren't).

RedBike

I think discs would be a huge avantage on a cyclo-x bike. However, hot discs at eye levels are far from ideal.

On a tourer they'd also be a huge plus. Who would want to stop a heavily laiden tourer with cantis when they can have powerful discs. However, the major dis-advantage is you can't just call into any shop and pick up a set of pads.

mr-marty-martin

wth mostly all pro tour riders using carbon wheels then i could see the need for disc brakes

but they'de have to be alot more discreet that mtb type ones i think...

imagine if there was a big tour crash like you see, adding hot disc in the equation is going to be a risk...

bonj2

"Rim brakes are good enough for tdf riders so they're good enough for me" - i'm sure tdf riders have a lot better cornering ability and skill than us mere mortals, a lot of whom would favour the increase in, if nothing else, confidence - that disk brakes would give. Plus tdf riders don't have to deal with traffic e.g. white van man pulling out

Personally I can see the point, but i'm not sure there's enough point to spend that much effort/expense/weight doing it. That said i'm sure in the next 10 or 20 years it'll be the latest 'must have' thing...:biggrin:

finally the link i always post in discussions on this: http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project68.html?WYSESSID=dmujuevgtjtqehfe9pasneha55 who in their right mind would say no to that bike :ohmy:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
From experience I find that disc brake give far better control than I have ever had from rim brakes, the only thing that is stopping me from upgrading it cost. However I can see my self upgrading in sometime in the next five years.

Five years ago, you would only see disc brakes on high end mountain bikes, now they are standard in the mid range mountain bikes and high end Hybrids. The main reason for slow adoption on Pro road bikes is weight, but as that issue is solved they will start to be used and the roadie sheep will follow, on matter what they say now...

mr-marty-martin

but you'll kill rims with magura rim brakes...

GrasB

Veteran
andrew_s said:
:wacko: easier to lock the front wheel (a locked front wheel is likely to result in a nasty crash)
I'd say it's harder to lock the wheel but requires less effort at the brake lever. I say this as when using a 160mm disc on the front of my Marin I can lift the rear wheel off the ground with 35kg in panniers, with the supplied v-brakes I lock the front wheel before the rear comes off the ground. Thing is with the disc brake is I'm applying less pressure to the lever so it's much easier to modulate the braking.

I agree on the wheel loosening point I want to find a QR to solid wheel nut conversion kit for my front wheel

Mr Pig

andrew_s said:
a) can eject the front wheel
:smile: easier to lock the front wheel

I don't agree with either. In a good quality set-up correctly fitted the first is a myth and the second untrue. It's far easier to lock up rim brakes than disks, they are far less progressive. One of the guys with us on Saturday complained that the rim brakes on his Rockhopper were going straight from not gripping enough to locking up with nothing in between. At one point he landed in a ditch because he was behind me because I broke hard going down a steep section, his brakes wouldn't slow him enough and he went into the ditch to avoid running into me. Another guy melted the pads on his rim brakes from the sustained braking! Another guy crashed because his rim brakes simply gave up, put a big gash in his hand.

The left leg of my fork is covered in brake dust, not seen that before, yet at no point did the brakes fade or grab. Disks might be heavier, and often unnecessary, but they are better. No doubt about it.

Jonathan M

SUrely pro-riders need their brakes a lot less than Joe P, and the only advantage that they'd have would be less risk of loosing tubular or clincher tyres due to heat build up in the rim?

MePower

mr-marty-martin said:
but you'll kill rims with magura rim brakes...

Yeah, tis the only downside though, i use a set of old ma2 mavics i`ve had for years when on training runs, and then switch to aksiums for comp use. But the brakes are very controllable, no grab and progressive. I`m putting a set on my new SLH trucker. IF i can find a set!

Top Bottom