Hydraulic brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Candaules

I'm tempted by a Boardman hybrid. Both models have disk brakes, one cable, the other hydraulic. I'm wary of the latter: they look complicated, difficult to maintain, liable to sudden failure, etc. I assume cable disk brakes are no harder to maintain than ordinary brakes.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

GrasB

Veteran
You've got it the wrong way round. Hydraulic brakes seem to be far lower on the maintenance side of things compared to cable brakes, basically they're fit n' forget on the hydraulic side of things, don't freeze up in the middle of winter & only require rotor & pad changes which us basically the same for both mechanical & hydraulic brakes.

As for sudden failures you do know that the same hosing technology is used in cars & motorbikes right!?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hydraulic brakes are indeed fit and forget. The Boardmans are Avids, tremendous stopping power and feel.
The only thinig you need to do is adjust the reach of the levers and once you've centred them (about a minute's work with an allen key) you can forget all about them 'til the pads wear out in a few hundred miles' time.

OP
OP
Candaules

Candaules

Thanks

Thanks for those comments. You have cleared up some misapprehensions. Hydraulic brakes seem to be a good thing, so I may have an excuse to buy a more expensive bike.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Candaules said:
Thanks for those comments. You have cleared up some misapprehensions. Hydraulic brakes seem to be a good thing, so I may have an excuse to buy a more expensive better bike.
FTFY

moolarb

Candaules said:
I'm tempted by a Boardman hybrid. Both models have disk brakes, one cable, the other hydraulic. I'm wary of the latter: they look complicated, difficult to maintain, liable to sudden failure, etc. I assume cable disk brakes are no harder to maintain than ordinary brakes.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

I don't want to put you off as I would recommend hydraulic disc brakes for hybrids or MTBs. However, in my experience they're not exactly fit and forget.

I was initially quite shocked at the maintenance and cost involved. After 3 rides I wore down my pads to the metal, and at £20 a pair I was not impressed! Admittedly they were resin pads which are really meant for competition use, so I bought some sintered pads and they've proved to be much more durable - I get through 2 or 3 pairs a year. I also have to tinker with the calipers/pads to prevent rubbing, and you have to be careful when the bike is upside down (especially if you press the lever) as you can get air trapped in the system which will then require bleeding.

Once you get the hang of it the maintenance is not too difficult but I wouldn't describe them as fit and forget. They're certainly powerful though and not prone to sudden failure.

mr Mag00

rising member
a small hijack sorry, i have found discs to be superb. how do you know when to change the pads?

Cubist

Still wavin'
moolarb said:
I don't want to put you off as I would recommend hydraulic disc brakes for hybrids or MTBs. However, in my experience they're not exactly fit and forget.

I was initially quite shocked at the maintenance and cost involved. After 3 rides I wore down my pads to the metal, and at £20 a pair I was not impressed! Admittedly they were resin pads which are really meant for competition use, so I bought some sintered pads and they've proved to be much more durable - I get through 2 or 3 pairs a year. I also have to tinker with the calipers/pads to prevent rubbing, and you have to be careful when the bike is upside down (especially if you press the lever) as you can get air trapped in the system which will then require bleeding.

Once you get the hang of it the maintenance is not too difficult but I wouldn't describe them as fit and forget. They're certainly powerful though and not prone to sudden failure.

Go online to Superstar Components and buy their replacement pads. Hayes Stroker pads work out at £4 a pair. They work fine.

What system are you using? My Hayes need centering every so often, but as it takes a minute or two to do it it's no more hassle than adjusting cables! I do it when I've lubed the chain, part of the weekly look after bit. On the Hybrid I haven't touched them in 300 miles.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Cubist said:
Go online to Superstar Components and buy their replacement pads.

google 'superstar pad failures'

They have a terrible reputation, and all the MTBers i know and ride with would never use them. There is a reason they are very cheap, and that is because they are not very good ime

Top Bottom