Hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano vs Tektro?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Hi, on my ongoing quest for a new hybrid bike I’ve realised that it will come with either Shimano or Tektro hydraulic discs.
Can you please educate me on which, if any, are superior and in what ways?

Some online reviews claim Shimano are more reliable but some bike shops claim little to no difference other than perceived quality based on the ‘name’ of Shimano.

So for example, so far I have my shortlist down to 2, perhaps 3, which are …

Giant Fastroad SL1 (Tektro)
Merida Speeder 400 (Shimano)
Boardman 2022 Hybrid 8.9 (Tektro)

I could immediately swap out the Tektro's for Shimano but that would cost money and is it really worth it?

Should the make of brake system influence my choice, all else being equal?

Thanks

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd say there's really nothing in it between the two. Tektro have always been a budget brand so the name has suffered from that.
You should spend more time deciding whether you want the 1x drive on the Boardman or the double chainset on the others. You'll have bigger gaps between the gears on Halfords bike. They might say there's no adjustments necessary so therefore simpler and easier to maintain. Apart from that they're fairly evenly matched. Marathon tyres on the Boardman are a plus in terms of puncture resistance.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Noting in it for me either, my bike has Shimano and my lad's old bike had Tektro and they were the same quality.

They take the same pads as well iirc.

I wouldn't choose a bike solely due to having Shimano if Tektro was the other option.

chr15b

Über Member
I had Shimano Hydraulic on my Voodoo Bizango and Tektro on my Boardman URB and found no difference between the two. Would have no issue with Tektro going forward.

keithmac

Guru
Which spares?, if you're looking for pistons and seals you may as well just replace the caliper complete?

Top Bottom