Hypothryoidism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoyo

I've just received blood test results confirming that I am significantly hypothyroid. Can anyone be reassuring and tell me that I will still want to cycle even if treatment is for life and not always successful. Even though I knew I had this condition before, it has come as a shock that it is much worse that I realized.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
yoyo, sorry to hear bad tidings. I know little about your ailment I'm afraid, but wish you well. Treatment for life may not be so bad, I was floored when I found out about my CHD asnd my arteries were closing down, thanks to a little bit of surgery and daily medication, I'm probably as fit as I've ever been. There are side effects but you get used to them and carry on!

I know someone with hypothyroidism and in all respects they lead a normal, active life. They are on medication permanently and I wouldn't have known unless she'd told me.

There's always a period of re-adjustment when you get news like that and it takes time to understand your illness as well. Chin up Yoyo and here's hoping it doesn't stop you doing the things you love.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
My dad takes Thyroxin, he's 83. The condition can have some weird side effects like hallucinations. The dose should be monitered every few months. I'm always taking my dad up to the docs for blood tests, I think they find more Scotch than blood sometimes.

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Thank you for these helpful replies. Am also being tested for adrenal stress before embarking on treatment. Just hope it isn't too hard to get right.

mangaman

Once you get established on the dose of thyroxine you need (may take a few blood tests and adjustments in dose) you should be absolutely fine.

No reason not to go back to normal - cycling and all

It's just the (artificially made) but natural human thyroxine they'll replace, so no reason why you shouldn't be right as rain

In fact it often comes on very gradually, so you may have been slowing down without really realising it for some time

My guess is you'll have some months till you're on the correct dose, then feel better than you have for a long time.

Hope so anyway - good luck

tyred

Legendary Member
It's really nothing to worry about. There is a long history of thyroid issues in my family. A great aunt of mine had her thyroid gland removed about 60 years ago and lived on supplements to be 93. I have an enlarged thyroid gland myself but it doesn't require treatment.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've an aunt who's on tablets and seems to be fine. I've also had a friend who has had a harder time. She was nearly stabilized and then it all went wrong and ended up having her thyroid nukked. She is gradually getting her strength back and has started cycling now. I wish you an easy path.

Evilcat

My partner has hypothyroidism. It took a while to get the dose of thyroxine right, but now she is absolutely fine. More energy in the mornings, too. :thumbsup:

EC

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Thank you for all your encouraging posts. Sorry for not replying sooner but I have not been feeling good. Am still waiting for the results of an Adrenal Stress Test.

Dave5N

Über Member
It's a bit shoot having the condition but the drugs aren't too bad.

I take L-thyroxin everyday and learned tonight my sister is now onit too innit - apparently there is a heritable element.

Snot a big deal, TBH, except for the anti-ageing thing of not wanting to take tablets.

Top Bottom