I am sitting in the wrong position?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
When on the drops and honking it i sit slight further forward on my saddle. this seams to be putting more pressure on the bracket that is holding it in place, and as of recent i have had a few times where the saddle has slipped position and i end up with it pointing downwards (most uncomfortable).

Even if i tighten the two bolts underneath as hard as i can i still get the same issue!

So am i sitting on the saddle wrong whilst using the drops?

Young Un

I had this problem, and once the saddle had slipped a couple of times the teeth on the locking mechanism had rounded and wouldn't grip each other very well so had to buy a new seatpost. Can you take a picutre of your current seatpost so we can see what type of clamp you have?

ASC1951

Guru
gaz said:
No. The saddle should stay rock solid whatever you do. Either you haven't done up the saddle post fittings correctly, or you need to upgrade them to something that doesn't slip.

For instance, if you have got one of these they are generally rubbish http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/339-473061.

The sort you need has an integrated mounting, like this (picking one at random) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3158

gaz said:

Not unless you go too far forward. I have mine set up so as if I move forward my 1" then that helps the pressing down on the pedals and if I move back 1" it helps pulling up on the cranks.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Made some adjustments but i think the clamp may be that crappy kind posted by ASC1951. in which case i will just pop to my LBS and pick up a new post.
Thanks for the offer 02GF74.

ASC1951

Guru
gaz said:
.. i think the clamp may be that crappy kind
I'm sure that will sort it. Those clamps really don't do much of a job, no matter how careful you are.

Beware, Gaz - you have just set off on the long road of appreciating the bicycle for the fine invention that it is and realising that you need to upgrade something on yours. Once you start, there is no going back. Welcome!

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Is there a way to upgrade the clamp and not the post? the post, seat and handlebars are all by the same company and have the same branding.

ASC1951

Guru
I suppose you could get a better quality clamp, although that arrangement is designed for budget bikes so even the best version won't be that good.

If you are worried about mixing and matching because the branded components won't fit, don't be. These are standard sizes.

If you are fretting because mixing components will spoil the branded look, well, having it work properly is much more important.

Going back to the original problem, even one of these rubbish clamps should be adjustable so that it doesn't slip; after all, that was how all saddles were held on until 40 years ago. If it still won't grip it properly even if you put a shim round the seatpost, take it in to your LBS and see what they say.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
gaz said:
Is there a way to upgrade the clamp and not the post? the post, seat and handlebars are all by the same company and have the same branding.

Upgrade the post and clamp to a new lightweight one...You'll go loads faster ! :sad:

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
ASC1951 said:
I suppose you could get a better quality clamp, although that arrangement is designed for budget bikes so even the best version won't be that good.

If you are worried about mixing and matching because the branded components won't fit, don't be. These are standard sizes.

If you are fretting because mixing components will spoil the branded look, well, having it work properly is much more important.

Going back to the original problem, even one of these rubbish clamps should be adjustable so that it doesn't slip; after all, that was how all saddles were held on until 40 years ago. If it still won't grip it properly even if you put a shim round the seatpost, take it in to your LBS and see what they say.
Going to pop in on the way home tonight and see what they say.

I think because one time i didn't tighten it enough it slipped and wore out. but last night i gave it a good extra turn and it has been fine for the last 30miles.

fossyant said:
Upgrade the post and clamp to a new lightweight one...You'll go loads faster ! :sad:
lol that is just an excuse to eat more.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Went to the LBS, they took the whole thing apart, cleaned everything, it all looked fine and then put it back together. Did it back up with a torque wrench to the required level. Hopefully this is all good now :blush:

Top Bottom