I do love my job at times - a new cycle mileage record!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
Had to do a load of site visits the other week looking at highway infrastructure outside schools, looking at where improvements could be made to encourage walking/cycling (i.e. new pedestrian crossings, providing off-highway links, speed limit reductions etc. etc.). So all the sites I have to do are within about a 20 mile radius and vary from 'deprived' areas with huge blocks of flats and miserable 60's concrete shopping centres and housing estates through to some nice rural villages and posh suburbs.

I thought I'd do them all by bicycle, I get 20p a mile allowance and it's probably quicker when you take into account the traffic and the fact that I'd have to park up and slowly walk around each site in turn.

Day 1 got all the dodgy areas sorted, day two saw the 'burbs finished off, day 3 was the countryside day.

Beautiful crisp chilly sunny autumn day, taking all the back lanes between villages, getting paid in time and expenses for riding around on my bike.

I took lunch overlooking a canal (pic 1), and then hit the lanes (pics 2 & 3), past some lovely little thatched cottages (pic 4) and finishing up with a banana and a juice on the village green (pic 5) - they've still got the stocks there!

Total mileage: 122
Amount Claimed: £24.40 (about $40)
Actual Cost: A few calories and some tyre rubber

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's pretty good..... my usual is just 11 miles in a day - just submitted a claim for about 100 miles....I only get 17p boo hoo !!!!

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
It's unusual for me to put a claim in for cycle mileage as it's normally just a trip to the station to visit another office so I don't bother. I forgot to mention the added bonus of getting back to the office at 4pm on the Friday and sharing my B.O with the admin girls :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
*jealous mode*

Feckin' hell! No wonder my Borough Council never gets anything done!

*off*

Bigtallfatbloke

Can you come around to my road and get the bloody council off their arse and get us a cycle safe environment for the local kids? Essex Council are bloody useless at anything that makes th eroads safer for peds or cyclists...but they always have cash to make motorists lives easier.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've only just started claiming milage last month and yet to be paid for it... (probably filled the form in incorrectly), but for me it will be 40p per mile.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
summerdays said:
I've only just started claiming milage last month and yet to be paid for it... (probably filled the form in incorrectly), but for me it will be 40p per mile.

I though 20p was the maximum allowable by HMRC?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know ... just know what I've been told I should get... I think the rest might be taxable? (but this could just be me talking rubbish - like I say I put the form in but no money has appeared).

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
I don't know ... just know what I've been told I should get... I think the rest might be taxable? (but this could just be me talking rubbish - like I say I put the form in but no money has appeared).
Correct, the 20p/mile is the tax free amount. Your company can pay you what ever it wants to over or under this amount, but anything over 20p will be taxable. That should show up on your P11D.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I'm jealous of the ride you did ... believe me most of my paid milage isn't going to be anywhere really nice like that. Instead I get to go to a lovely dodgy area tomorrow.... but I'm getting a lift being lazy.

johnnyh

Veteran
I cycle out to IT jobs within a 20 mile radius, and a good 50% of it is through rural areas. A great way to see Autumnal clolurs :biggrin:

Top Bottom