I know Guys go WOW over the frame, but !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freddyflintstone

With all my bikes I have never had problems with the frame (might be heavy and made of cast steel - but - its never let me down)
My problems overtime have been, the crankspindle,brakes, tyres, wheels, & gears

Is there such an animal that has an average frame but with "lasting accessories that don't let
you down"

Or do you have to have it specially made at a LBS

Comments most appreciated

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Any moving or fruction part will wear over time, always try to buy the best you can afford or try and get user reviews before you hand over your hard earned cash.

I know exactly where you're coming from, but I think the answer is no... if you want high spec parts, you tend to have to buy higher spec frames. A custom build would probably end up costing the pennies anyway, so you're probably better off potentially looking second hand for a frame you like, and spending the high end mine on some high end components, if it's really the way you want to go!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My lightweight steel frame is 20 years old, and the components - never had a problem with any of it - only things changed are usual wear and tear parts - chainrings/sprockets/rims/chain. The frame was handbuilt and the parts top of the range though, but I've also got a 653 frame (handbuilt off the peg) and a tange cromo MTB that are almost as old.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I get the feeling that modern lightweight componentry is made to wear out much faster and be replaced.

For maximum robustness look for an older steel frame that has brazed-on mounts for DT shifters. You can then run DT shifters - which pretty much never fail, or fit the cable stops needed for more modern style gears.

And learn how each component works, how to maintain it, remove and refit it .... and then you'll likely know when its on its way to failure, and replace it before it lets you down.

Top Bottom