I know, 'not another newbie!'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mark999

Veteran
Ah... the power of the N+1 is such that, once you know what it means, you will be under its spell. :biggrin:

It's a formula in which N = the number of bikes you own currently, and +1 is the number of bikes that you need to own when trying to persuade the holder of the purse-strings to loosen them up a little.

So, you currently have 1 bike - N=1

However, (the discussion goes) you do actually need a road bike, for those times when the weather is lovely and you want to head off for a day in the countryside covering a bit of distance without the weight of the off-road bike. So, there's your N+1 = 2

Then, you need a bike to head into town, a bit of a beater, nothing special or flash, but it would be good if it had a rack and panniers so you can do the shopping without paying parking charges. So, now N+1=3.

Then, you find you love riding on the road but your aluminium frame, whilst light, is a bit buzzy, it would be great to have a steel framed bike. It's 30 years old and a friend was selling it very cheap. And now N+1=4

etc :thumbsup:

I like it. N=1 is currently fine for me, although as you say, I'm sure I'll take a fancy to another in future.

OP
OP
M

Mark999

Veteran
The first of many silly questions!

1) When I remove a wheel, is the little red plastic 'key' type thing that came with my bike, for placing between the brakes so they do not close together?

2) How do I tighten (firm up) the brake levers so that they do not need pulled as far?

Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes...

Thank you folks

Mark

Top Bottom