I may live to regret this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I've just ordered some new tyres to replace my worn out Schwalbe Marathon +.

I knew the tread had worn down, but on Sunday I noticed a fairly large hole in the rubber and I could see the blue protection barrier underneath. Further inspection revealed a few more tiny worn patches.

I decided not to get the same ones and went for some lighter thinner Michelin Krylion Carbon Folding Tyres from Ribble

The M+ did exactly what I wanted, and I didn't get a puncture 18 months, but as I'm now riding a lot more miles I thought I would go back to something faster.

They've had a lot of good reviews and I'm hoping that the limited supply is a good sign. They're apparently very good at resisting P******** (I'll have to stop saying the P word since I won't have the M+ for much longer :biggrin: ) but a lot lighter.

I better get some practice changing inner tubes, just in case.

But 18 months and many miles, easliy 2000+ of London commuting (not sure exactly as I lost my computer halfway through their life) and they more than paid for themselves.

Fingers crossed.

p.s Title should read "regret". I don't know what's wrong with me these days. One too many falls????

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have M+ on my commuter and michelin krylion carbon (yellow ones) on my best bike and I have to say they are both good tyres and offer good puncture protection.

The kylion's run sooooo much faster ;)

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I have M+ on my commuter and michelin krylion carbon (yellow ones) on my best bike and I have to say they are both good tyres and offer good puncture protection.

The kylion's run sooooo much faster ;)

Thank you, that's just what I wanted to hear :becool:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
fossyant said:
You won't want to use Marathon's again...... fast tyres....... road to the devil......

Pro Race 3's next.............:smile:

Don't I know it :hello:

My next bike will probably be a nicer one than the one I have .....£££££££ and that will get very fast tyres for weekend rides only.
Then I may put Marathons back on this purely for commutes......but I doubt it :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Good stuff Red, keen to see how they are, I'm waiting on the Schwalbe Ultremo R Evolutions. Have to see if I can keep pace with you on the next ride:biggrin:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Sittingduck said:
Didn't realise you could get them Krylion's in Celeste :biggrin:

They do make them in lightening blue or something, which is close, but the only colours I could find were yellow, red and dark grey.

I went for the boring option xx(

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
MacBludgeon said:
Good stuff Red, keen to see how they are, I'm waiting on the Schwalbe Ultremo R Evolutions. Have to see if I can keep pace with you on the next ride:biggrin:

I'll be giving Radius a run for his money (actually it's my money, and the interest is piling up) :biggrin:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
TheDoctor said:

Thanks again Doc.

Well I got my tyres delivered to work yesterday and decided to fit them at lunchtime.
It took me about 10 mins to get one of the Marathons off, I think they had welded themselves to the wheels they had been on for so long.

The Krylions weren't as easy to put on as I had hoped, but still easier than the M+. I think my Mavic rims may be partly to blame.

Got the first one on in about 30 mins but couldn't pump it up. After blaming the rubbish track pump, then my mini pump, then my colleagues mini pump, I realised I had pinched the tube putting it in, so off it came and new tube put in. By now it had taken over an hour and I had to get back to work.

Decided that I would do the other when I got home (especially since I had broken one of my levers and had no access to any more).

So I rode home with a M+ on the front and Krylion on the back, I hope no-one saw ;)

Second one was a lot easier in the comfort of my home and with a coffee.

They are very nice though. Obviously faster but surprising they also absorb more of the vibrations from the rode so very comfy.

I'm not looking forward to getting a P******* though, and I'm sure the fairy is after me after all the mocking I gave her over the past year B)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
redjedi said:
They are very nice though. Obviously faster but surprising they also absorb more of the vibrations from the rode so very comfy.
Michelins seem to have slightly fatter profiles than other tyres of (supposedly) the same size, ime - they have a nice plush ride too.

I have a set of Krylions somewhere - ordered them when no one could get hold of them, and forgot about them until the supplier located some & sent them on...

Top Bottom