I quite like cheap tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My first foray into camping involved a gelert solo tent. At 1.5kg I thought this was perfect for cycling but alas it's way too small and I feel claustrophobic. Instead I use a somerfield two man dome tent for £10 and hang it onto the front of my handle bars. I'll admit it is a shoot tent as it is single skin and is made of cheap fabric, but I haven't found this a problem and I think it's actually lighter than the solo, weighing in at 1kg

I'm beginning to think some people take touring abit too seriously during the summer. There's probably no need to have very good gear if you're just going to do a couple of tours. A basic sleeping bag (about 1kg in weight) a cheap crap tent seem fine. Maybe I just haven't experienced rough whether yet.

Have you seen Vernon's thread?

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Not seen Vernon's thread but I have noticed that tent a couple of times. It's too small for people with claustrophobia unfortuantely.

I'd say though the argos one is quite a good tent for the money. Whereas I'm talking more about the cheap dome ones.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I haven't done the cycle camping thing yet.. but would like to, however I have experienced some awful weather in the summer when I have been camping in my current tents (had one really bad night in Scotland a couple of weeks ago - really wet and windy and you lie there wondering if you are the only thing keeping the tent in place:biggrin:). Glad that you have found a way that works for you.

stephenjubb

Über Member
agreed in england, but definitely not in the highlands of scotland. a cheap tent would have the s**t kicked out of it with some of the weather (torrential rain, 50 mph winds for days on end) in scotland.

It all depends on where you are going on what kit you need.

Camping in England during summer months most of the time you could get away with the kit that you are using.

However there is no one size that fits all so remember that depending on where you are going.

Big Jack Brass

I'm rather fond of a basic tarp, myself. Something along the lines of the Ray Jardine design is perfect for the UK and has the advantage that you can pitch it high enough to roll your bike underneath :ohmy: Very light, compact and versatile.

Not for pitching on a hilltop in a thunderstorm, but I managed very nicely with mine on the TGO Challenge crossing of Scotland earlier this year, despite hail and heavy rain.

smeg

Riverman said:
I'm beginning to think some people take touring abit too seriously during the summer. There's probably no need to have very good gear if you're just going to do a couple of tours. A basic sleeping bag (about 1kg in weight) a cheap crap tent seem fine. Maybe I just haven't experienced rough whether yet.
As has been mentioned it depends where you're going, Scotland would chew that up and spit it out, broken fibreglass poles n' all - even in Summer. It wouldn't handle gusting winds 50+mph nor keep the rain out (the proper heavy continuous sideways stuff not the odd shower :rofl:). A cheap 1 / 2 season 1kg sleeping bag wont keep you warm either and would rip easily due to crap fabrics as with the tent. There's a reason people buy expensive camping gear.

...and once your tent has been demolished the midges will ave' yer! :rofl:

smeg

vernon said:
No they won't because the forces of nature that destroyed the tent will have blown the midges away....;)
lol they'll be back in the morning afterwards when the wind has died down whilst picking up the debris and trying to dry your sleeping bag :biggrin:

april74

stephenjubb said:
agreed in england, but definitely not in the highlands of scotland. a cheap tent would have the s**t kicked out of it with some of the weather (torrential rain, 50 mph winds for days on end) in scotland.

It all depends on where you are going on what kit you need.

Camping in England during summer months most of the time you could get away with the kit that you are using.

However there is no one size that fits all so remember that depending on where you are going.

I wouldn't be so sure. My £60 Argos tent has withstood these conditions many times and it is quite large. It's amazing how good cheap tents are these days.

Riverman said:

So what country have you spent the last 3 summers in ? :blush:

Simon

Proud2Push

smeg said:
Scotland would chew that up and spit it out, broken fibreglass poles n' all - even in Summer. It wouldn't handle gusting winds 50+mph nor keep the rain out

We watched a single skin yellow red and blue Argos play tent being repeatedly almost flattened by squally gusts on a campsite near Arisaig, but every time it sprang back up again and survived apparently as well as the more technical tents pitched alongside. Having said that, I wouldn't have wanted to sleep in it

Top Bottom