I thought I'd invented a word ... but I hadn't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use the word Tat to mean a badly made object or junk (most of the stuff in a charity shop or my garage for example). I am sure my whole family the word but I find no one else knows it and it is not in a dictionary.

Wifes family uses the word Chonky for when someone is in a bad mood and irritable.

Isnt the roof just corrugated?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use the word Tat to mean a badly made object or junk (most of the stuff in a charity shop or my garage for example). I am sure my whole family the word but I find no one else knows it and it is not in a dictionary.

Sorry we use the word Tat too ... usually to describe most of the stuff at the school fayre that they try to bring home.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was amazed by a recent survey on what people call their tv remotes to find that almost no-one uses the correct term: plinker. I thought everyone knew that.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I grew up using words that others didn't ... that what comes of being transplanted from NI to Bucks!! Mostly I've stopped using them now ... but I miss those words....

Norm

Although you could be considered personally responsible for the small group of people in the southern end of the Beeches who refer to Yer Maun and always wish you "Safe Home" after the craic. :biggrin:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Crenellated has also appeared in cooking books oddly enough.

The funny thing is having grown up in a family who emigrated to England before I was born, I used to have all sorts of words that I thought were proper words in Cantonese Chinese. However it's funny when older to discover that the word shop used by your parents and older siblings was a bad phonetic half Chinese/English hybrid that wasn't a word! I'm sure there were several but the word for 'shop' still gets used affectionately in my family.

Chilternrides

Knew of a chap who invented a very interesting word to describe the multi-tasking sometimes unintentially carried as a result of an upset stomach.

"Oh no, I've just sharted!"

I'll leave you to work out the two associated actions...

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
The one modern word that is a current pet hate for me is "Webinar" (Web Seminar) - it's bloody awful and does not trip naturally off the tongue at all. Whatever was wrong with "Online presentation?" or "Online meeting?". Yuk!!! xx(

Top Bottom