I want my baby back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jontee1000

Need help from eagle eyed forum members in York.

I locked my fixie up and went into a shop in Heworth, York for less than 5 mins.
Came out and the lock was still there but the bike was gone!

It's very distinctive:

Bright white 45mm wheel rims
Orange tires
Orange Bullhorn handle bars
White chain
Late 70's metallic green Viscount Grand Prix frame.
I'd attach pics but don't seem able to.

I suspect the perpetrators may have been some schoolboys who I'd noticed admiring it form afar before I went into the shop.

If anyone spots it in or around York I'd love to know.

It was insured and the Police have been informed but realistically I'm not expecting to see it again.
This was my first self built bike and so meant a lot to me - I can't just give up on it without trying [Sniff]

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A sad welcome to the forum jontee1000. There is a section for stolen bikes on the forum. Do post your pics when you can to go with your description.

Zoof

Need help from eagle eyed forum members in York.

I locked my fixie up and went into a shop in Heworth, York for less than 5 mins.
Came out and the lock was still there but the bike was gone!

It's very distinctive:

Bright white 45mm wheel rims
Orange tires
Orange Bullhorn handle bars
White chain
Late 70's metallic green Viscount Grand Prix frame.
I'd attach pics but don't seem able to.

I suspect the perpetrators may have been some schoolboys who I'd noticed admiring it form afar before I went into the shop.

If anyone spots it in or around York I'd love to know.

hI jontee sorry about you loss.

But just as warning to the rest of us,

what lock did you use; and how the hell did they get it off in 5 min's

OP
OP
J

jontee1000

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses and sorry for posting this in the wrong area.

The lock in question was
an RSP Contego 15mm combination lock

It appears that someone (presumably the thieves as I'
ve never noticed it before) has attempted to use bolt cutters on it -
The plastic sheath on the cable has been sliced on both sides, but this has not cut the cable itself.

It appears that pure brute force was all that was required to rip the lock open.

I got the lock as part of a package from my local bike shop here in Manchester when I first signed up to the Cycle scheme last year - I knew it wasn't great but hadn't appreciated how poor it was until I just read a review on Bikeradar.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and shell out on a fancy lock for the replacement bike I eventually get.
Anybody have any recommends? - I've seen the mangled remains of U-locks lying around suggesting that they're not all indestructible.

BSRU

A Human Being
No bike lock is unbreakable, given the right tools, just some are more difficult than others.

I think combination cable locks are about as secure as a piece of string, unfortunately you learn though experience, several bikes were stolen near where I work last summer, all combination locks, some easily cut and some just fell apart.
Resulted in me upgrading my security so now they have three sold secure locks to get through and two motion sensitive alarms to bypass and most importantly it is only left in the garage at home or under my window at work.

Zoof

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses and sorry for posting this in the wrong area.

The lock in question was
an RSP Contego 15mm combination lock

It appears that someone (presumably the thieves as I'
ve never noticed it before) has attempted to use bolt cutters on it -
The plastic sheath on the cable has been sliced on both sides, but this has not cut the cable itself.

It appears that pure brute force was all that was required to rip the lock open.

I got the lock as part of a package from my local bike shop here in Manchester when I first signed up to the Cycle scheme last year - I knew it wasn't great but hadn't appreciated how poor it was until I just read a review on Bikeradar.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and shell out on a fancy lock for the replacement bike I eventually get.
Anybody have any recommends? - I've seen the mangled remains of U-locks lying around suggesting that they're not all indestructible.

Jotee: all members on a stolen bike issue sing with one voice.

We do not like it; and will render what assistance we can.

Myself I use a motorbike cable with a good padlock.

Also my wheels I convert back to bolt on. MTB

But always be careful out there; because on Wednesday I when for a ride along the canal about 20 miles.

Feeling a bit empty-bellied, I called in at Morrison's café.

Just out the car park the bike felt a bit unsteady, so I stopped just before a steep hill.

The handle bars where just spinning without turning the f/wheel.

Thinking something was just bust I walked home; using the saddle to steer.

At home to find out what was wrong; I just gave the Alan-key a turn or two.

After 4 turns it locked up and was fine, A,OK. You can draw you own conclusion's

but I have only one in mind. Stay vigilant out on the street's ZOOF

Top Bottom