I want to buy a pre-owned Madone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinus

Good morning.

Some background is always useful. After marriage some many years' ago I stopped (regrettably) cycling. Picked it up 20 years later and things progressed a lot. Now mid 40's and larger than I'd like to admit, the good news is the weight is coming off and should be around the 90kg range later this year.

At present I have a Madone 5.2 (think 2011) which I bought pre-owned. Some noises from the crank an unavailability of parts meant I need to move to a Tiagra (from Ultegra). Not the worst thing ever, still a great bike imo, but I want to use this bike as a training bike. I am not racing for prize money, but I want to be better than (most) in my age group which is good enough for me. On Zwift I am working towards a B class output and everything equal will get there.

But I am itching for another Madone. These things can break the bank and also pragmatic about not winning any prize money. I get it is down to how much power you can push that will earn you more bike cred in the group rides and I plan on doing alp d'huez and the surrounding col's in the aera next summer of 2025 giving me plenty of time.

Now to scratch the itch I saw below Madone which looks the business. Trying to figure out the year, whislt waiting for a response from the seller, I was looking for bike forums to ask questions. Having looked at forums, chats, youtube about buying second hand, I don't have the option to 'test' ride it but can return it.

The details copied from the site for ease of reference.
To kick things off a few questions:
1. Parts - can I find them easily. With my Madone 5.2 series it feels like (not that I know) doing a knee replacement, old body, new parts, still does the job but not quite the same as new(ish) everything
2. I think at the price it is fair despite still expensive. When it gets to the higher numbers I start feeling like I won't do the bike justice.
3. I want to keep the training road bike, race bike set up. I have an indoor trainer separate from the training bike for the winter months (live in NL). After my Madone's issues I was without a bike for almost a month and decided I want the indoor training dedicated to be independent. You can of course argue it is too much but throwing away a month of training is something I don't want to do again.
4. I had a look at videos about SRAM etc. I'm in two about this, The price goes up and I'm not sure it is justified (for me). Yes it is cool, but who cares in a group ride with a bunch of mid-life guys. The bottom line is drop the weight, put the power on.

Tinus

https://buycycle.com/nl-nl/bike/default65e7057269839-62883

Group set: Dura ace
Front: 52-36
Cassette: 11-30
Brakes: Bontrager direct mount
Wheels; Vision Metron
SIze: 60

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-23 114450.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-23 114450.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-03-24 065837.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-24 065837.png
    475.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-03-24 065925.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-24 065925.png
    452.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-03-24 065955.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-24 065955.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-03-24 070027.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-24 070027.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tinus

Since learned the bike is s 2017. Also learned mechanics don't like working on the integrated brake system. Finally disc brakes, according to a friend, is not great on carbon frames and disc is more modern.

Forgive if these are schoolboy questions/comments - I haven't been in this game for a long time and playing catch up fast. I think the bottom line is if you want to have a really good bike to spend the money. From personal experience saving a buck isn't worth it especially on online platforms, unless you can physically inspect it

Top Bottom