I wasted my money

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I jumped in a purchased a set of 50mm wide guards that only just cover my tyres ( because they had them in halfords and the roads around here are just mud baths now that sugar beet season is on us)
Anyway, I got a set on order now 65mm wide that should do a better job.

Now! I`m not a silly old w***** but you know if I could find some of those plastic shrouds that school mams used to use around the mudguards then I might go for it. Yeh! I know they are not the in thing and I might not be able to hold my head up in town but to be quite honest at my age warmth and comfort comes in front of pride now.

Are they still out their? or did they die along with short trousers?

(remember short trousers? I didn`t know they had flies till I was 30 years old and my wife over rode my mum and put me in jeans:laugh:

Noodley

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Thanks for your replies.
Here in North Norfolk it`s 99.9% farming and the crud on the roads has to be seen to be believed at times (I`m talking a rise in road height at field entrances of sometimes 6-9" of mud) and then it spreads out for a long way. I`ve had three set of disks on my van and two sets on my car since living here (8 years) purely from the amount of crud on the roads. But what can you do? if you want to live away from the mayhem then you have to live with it (when in Rome) Maybe I should get myself a tractor:-)
One good thing about riding a bike around here is that I regulary get to hold up tractors:-)because the lanes are so narrow that they can`t pass.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Those guards are for long coats and dresses:blush: My wife said that if I fit them I can borrow one of her dresses to see if they work:laugh::ohmy: That should turn a few heads in the village.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
I ordered the new mudguards from wiggle Saturday eve SKS 65mm silver with blacks lines and they arrived today (Monday):sad:
What a superb service and what a great set of guards and they have a built in rear reflector. I reckon if I can get them close enough my crud splash days might be over. (the downside is that I won`t need to wear the dress)

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
I fitted the new SKS guards today, super quality and nice and wide. Took me most of the day making up brackets and fitting them. Well worth doing it properly, they are nice and solid and give a good deal more coverage than the old guards. The rear guard is quite a long one so what I did was to set it lower at the front rather than stop at the frame (it`s protrudes down about 3") and then I took the mudflap from the old front guard and fitted that at the bottom. Can`t do much more now to the rear guard.
The front guard is also nice and long and I fitted an extra wide weighted rubber mud flap at the bottom which should now deflect most of the crud well away from the bottom of the frame and the chain ring.

Top Bottom