I went for a leaf blower ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I went to a local auction today hopefully to pick up some garden machinery. However I missed out on a couple of things and there was a sorry looking Dawes Kingpin there. I hadn't really looked at it and the auctioneer drop the starting bid to £2 and looked straight at me (he doesn't know me from Adam), so I thought it'd be rude not to so I was in. Someone else upped the bid but I ended up with the below for the princely sum of £5 (+ VAT). It came with two front wheels (one of which is the original) and a rear, which are all different sizes but the Sturmey may come in useful I suppose.
I really don't need another project but I quite chuffed really. I've been hankering after a Raleigh Twenty for a while and these are pretty much the same.
20180814_131042.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
Those auctioneers are smart: they have a great instinct for the best buyers.

Hope the bike gives you oodles of pleasure.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

No expense spared then :laugh:
Yeah, last of the big spenders me.

@mjr no, I didn't, there was one I was interested in, but I ummed and ahhed for too long. Still there's always next month, but I really mustn't come back with another bike.
Come to think of it, leaf blowers claim to blow at 165 mph, so if I strap one to my bike Newton's second law says I'll do the same speed or so my 40 year old physics A level tells me.

midlife

Guru
Dawes take on the Raleigh Stowaway, better made but the hinge on the Raleigh was beefier and "closed" when you sat on it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I ended up with the below for the princely sum of £5 (+ VAT). It came with two front wheels (one of which is the original) and a rear

That's my sort of bargain purchase! The difficulty afterwards is managing to sort it out without multiplying the price several times over. I've just ordered another simple Cateye computer for a bike that cost me less than £20, thus increasing the total cost by 60%. My justification being the Cateye was on special offer, £12 reduced from £13, but it's starting to get extravagant....

fantastic, :bravo: obviously the front wheel that's one at the moment isn't the right size, is the spare correct, the kingpin is better made than the twenty I think, it is certainly lighter, that should be good for many years with a little fettling, the chrome looks good from the photos, autosol is your friend for the shiny bits

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

fantastic, :bravo: obviously the front wheel that's one at the moment isn't the right size, is the spare correct, the kingpin is better made than the twenty I think, it is certainly lighter, that should be good for many years with a little fettling, the chrome looks good from the photos, autosol is your friend for the shiny bits
Yes the front spare is correct, it's a 440. The spare wheels are a combination of 400, 406 and 440. As I said I hadn't looked at the bike before bidding (didn't see that the front wheel was wrong, nor the lack of brake blocks) and had presumed they'd all be the same size, but I'm not complaining.

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

That's my sort of bargain purchase! The difficulty afterwards is managing to sort it out without multiplying the price several times over. I've just ordered another simple Cateye computer for a bike that cost me less than £20, thus increasing the total cost by 60%. My justification being the Cateye was on special offer, £12 reduced from £13, but it's starting to get extravagant....
I know it can get silly once you start replacing tubes and tyres etc. That said, I'd generally replace tyres and tubes for peace of mind (unless they're clearly new obs).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
, the kingpin is better made than the twenty I think, it is certainly lighter, that should be good for many years with a little fettling

Dawes (well real Birmingham-made ones) = Quality bikes, maybe a little better than a similar Raleigh, but no doubt also a bit more costly being small-volume.

I know it can get silly once you start replacing tubes and tyres etc. That said, I'd generally replace tyres and tubes for peace of mind (unless they're clearly new obs).

My strategy is fit new Schwalbe tyres to anything I regard as a "good" bike. Then I keep my ratty old tyre stock for my hack bikes that only get ridden locally at low speed. I've tried to standardize (almost) on 700c Road and 26" MTB, so that tyres can be interchanged between bikes to get all the useful life out of them.

Top Bottom