Iceland driver complaint letter for your amusement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I very nearly went under the wheels of a very large Welsh coach taking happy punters home from the 2012 Olympics, High Street Kensington one evening. He passed really close and the coach body kept cutting in until I thought that the worst was about to happen. At the next red light, blood up, I put the bike down in front of his vehicle and articulated silently by miming that he was a girl's ladybits. His passengers behind him looked utterly appalled. My letter to the coach company came to nothing. I was really pleased that I could call him a daffodil though when it happened and it made me feel better.

Let it go.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
This is meant constructively.

Psychologically you've let Steve Peters inner chimp run riot. You have to calm down, think of the outcome you want and write a letter/email that gets to that point with a person reading it who has no emotional connection on this issue & in all likelihood none with cycling other than potter round the park on a Sunday afternoon.

My job occasionally gets me into contact with people unhappy at the service they've had from somewhere in a big organisation (theres 10,000 of us over many sites but my phone number seems to have a special place in the random dial and start shouting phone book) & as a school governor receiving some quite intense and personally felt complaints from parents. It is important to cut down to the facts before responding, that can be difficult in a letter as emotional as yours.
My first reading of your post with this sort of head on was 'Hello I'm a bike nut, full of furious zeal and a serial complainer about drivers all of whom I regard as idiots. I'm trying to explain away why I physically manhandled one of your staff and the response I predict you'll give me is grovelling platitudes which will only make me more angry'.

The emotion makes it too long, the whole tone of that emotion comes across as aggressive and is all from your perception, if you do want to use the emotional rhetoric you need to connect with the reader, find a way to wrie that is not jabbing your finger in their chest & with a hard face on why do they give a stuff if you'd fear for your wife, child & neighbours safety? they're complete strangers, point it at their family members and their driving style. Although TBH I'd leave all of that out as it does make you sound a shouty barmpot who is just venting frustration or getting your side of an acrimonious story in first because you've realised the driver & probably shop staff will be doing a full report having suckered you into a physical interaction and there may well be Police involved by them.

I would ask for CCTV from the store or Vehicle (whether it has it or not, shows you're not afraid of the actions described and are serious about people reviewing it) & have a word with the council, theres lots of road cameras too, see if one covers the pinch point.

to be fair, 'interesting' to who? - I read on to the end more out of bloody minded determination than fascination with the narrative, as said it is too long and diverse as a complaint.

'hear from you soon' gives them an opt out to park it in a things to do tray for the next 3 months, I'd do it by letter (again it is a perception thing, A letter would imply to me with my receiving complaints head on that you've taken more time to think about it rather than done a hastily dashed off email in the heat of the moment), pay for recorded delivery and put e.g. a 2 week timescale from the next day (o.n.o.) delivery for them to respond & mark the outside of the letter with 'customer complaint' so they are less able claim it got bounced around their internal system without people realising what it was, If you do do it by email - put a trace on it (tho that often doesn't trace properly inside big corporate systems) and title it customer complaint.

I hope you do get a decent outcome, stripping the fire away it does sound like an impatient, unthinking & dangerous move on the drivers part. I hate those pedestrian refuges and actively avoid one particular busy road round my way because I have had too many bad passes there and have no faith I'll always be lucky at them.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
To add to what others have said, the implied blackmail of going to the police unless they respond in a way you find satisfactory is also unlikely to go down well.

Tear this up and use the excellent examples posted of how to write a calm, rational letter that will be taken seriously. If I received yours, it would, I'm afraid, go straight into the bin.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
To whom it may concern,

Next time one of your drivers endangers my wellbeing I shall drag him bodily from the cab and insert a frozen family size stuffed-crust pizza where the sun don't shine!
And I wont stop to remove it from the packaging!

Maybe not. I'll try again...

:thumbsup: Spot on mickle!!!

Yes, that was a joke also :laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
To whom it may concern,

Next time one of your drivers endangers my wellbeing I shall drag him bodily from the cab and insert a frozen family size stuffed-crust pizza where the sun don't shine!

No, no, no!

This is the wrong approach.

You want to be using a giant size frozen TOBLERONE!

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Some years ago in a different life I used to meet frequently with Malcolm Walker;.Iceland's owner & CEO.I believe that if you are able to compose a rational,level headed & articulate complaint & send it to their Deeside head office marked P&C for his attention I would be most surprised if you did not receive an appropriately responsible reply.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
To whom it may concern
Much more succinct and to the point.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
To whom it may concern,

Length is spot on.

Three paragraphs has 100 times the impact of 33.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
I'd be happier with idiotic driver than idiot driver.
A car driver drives a car, so an idiot driver drives an idiot. Probably.

Top Bottom