Ideal handlebar bags? Free?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I have an Altura skye which is already faultless (although no longer in production) well, the only fault was the price but all altura products are keenly priced so I'm guessing that it's costs a far bit to make them.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
mike.pembo said:
MP3 (or phone) player pouch / holder to listen to choones and change tracks while riding. :biggrin:

I get on bike to get away from such things....
And I prefer to hear the pheasants before they come out of the hedgerows in a kamikaze mission on my front wheel.

In answer to your yesterday's question RixenKaul have a range of interchangeable brackets which are excellently designed and easy to operate. Standard / oversize bars/ extended / accessory bar for lights / lockable version, even one you could fit to seat post so you could turn bar bag into saddle bag. Seems like the best of the proprietary systems to me.

So .... I've been in touch with a friend in China about finding a manufactuer for this "ideal" bag. I have to hand-make a further prototype with all the changes incorporated and send it out to them.

In the meantime I do still have some of the original prototypes for sale.

Armegatron

porkypete said:
I get on bike to get away from such things....
And I prefer to hear the pheasants before they come out of the hedgerows in a kamikaze mission on my front wheel.

I dont personally listen to music myself when riding. Firstly because I prefer to hear everything around me too, but also my earphones are awful and always fall out when Im at the gym, so I could do without them falling out on the bike :biggrin:

Tinytwin

I have an Altura bag, and there are a few features that I like about it, and a few features I would like to change:

Detachable map sleeve (with velcro and two poppers to hold it on) made of a rubbery clear plastic that doesn't crack as it ages. When I don't use it, I leave it behind. This feature could be improved by getting the other end of the map case fastened down to prevent it from blowing over the front of the bag in windy weather. Perhaps another bit of velcro on the underside of the map case, about 3/4 the way down towards the open end? I get fed up with tossing it back up onto the lid! The size of the case needs to be looked at hard. My current one is fine, but I have had one that was too small - the designer did not consider the length of the map, nor the resulting bulk when it was folded backwards to show the route.

Detachable strap: I can go into town and carry it over my shoulder, when I leave the bike locked up. This could be improved upon: use non-slip webbing! The strap frequently lengthens itself when it is on the bicycle. Too, I wonder if the attachments could be made smaller or changed, as they are quite bulky. I had been going to suggest a narrow zip pocket that follows the width of the bag, in which to tuck the strap out the way instead of having attachments for detaching the strap. This might be too fiddly.

Some support for the bag, if not solid, particularly around the the top, either as a frame or board. I had a bag that only had the back supported. The bag tended to flop down when anything heavy was put inside. A frame around the top might work along with a back board. My current bag is like a plastic box covered in material, but is a bit on the heavy side, and hurts my hips when it bangs into me as I walk along. If it were lighter I would feel much happier with it.

Velcro for the lid: yes and no. Quick to open, but hell keep closed if the bag is a bit full - it tends to flop open, particularly over bumps. Two or 3 poppers on longer tabs would help to keep it shut when it is full.

Outer pockets: very useful for putting last minute small things into, but may get in the way of gear shifters if at the side. I may be in the minority on this issue, as I have drop handlebars, which may be narrower than others.
My bag has a detachable front outer pocket, that is held on with velcro and quick release buckle, and can be used like a bum bag when the strap is removed from the handlbebar bag and is attached to the outer pocket. I seldom use it, and the quick release is bulky, getting in the way of the shifters. I think I would prefer a single outer front pocket, that remains permanently on. An attachment for a reflector or better yet, a light. Handlebars are too crowded these days for all these things, and a light on the fork crown sometimes gets hidden by a drooping handlebar bag!

Inner pocket(s): An inner pocket is a good idea, particularly for things that get lost easily in a bag, such as keys and rail tickets.

Size: Something that is big enough for wallet, hat, suncream, book, mittens. Just trying to think what else I carry in it when I am touring and dislike having to stop to hunt for in panniers.... Small camera and sandwiches! Ah yes! Very important... flattened loo roll.

Colour: black: does not show the dirt and goes with most bicycle colours.

Waterproofing: it depends on how expensive the material is. A cover over the bag may hinder access to the inside of the bag when it rains, but does have the advantage in that it covers the whole bag and reduces water ingress between any seams/lid in heavy, prolonged rain. If the cover is made with a waterproof material, it should last as long as the rest of the bag. PVC-lined trousers loose their effectiveness as the lining perishes/wears. If a cover is made for the bag, I would suggest that the elastic is enclosed in a seam, rather than sewn on directlly. It would be good to be able to replace the elastic as and when it perishes. Perhaps use an elastic draw cord such as those found on waterproof jackets?

Attachment: I say aye to the Rixen Kaul KlickFix.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thanks tinytwin....
Agree with you about the Altura map sleeve. One of the girls on my JoGLE had one, I don't think I'd have been able to put up with myself.

I used the one I pictured upthread, worked fine but the map sleeve is too small. Not much of an issue for me as I use a stem mounted GPS, but I want to produce something that will satisfy all of the people all of the time - and hence make my fortune !

Cyclist33

The advantage of a non waterproof is they're often cheaper. Having literally just finished fitting an 8l Avenir bar bag to mine, I can tell you it doesn't look too bulky. We shall see how strong the QR is in due course but I don't intend filling it with heavy rocks, just stuff for work and if on a jolly, spare bits n bobs, map, phone, grub etc. Plus I'll also be touting a 10l backpack so that should cover most of my needs. Oh yes, the bag has a waterproof cover so its not completely useless in the wet.

Stu

Top Bottom