If only UK police could be as pro active as this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Better than I had, got a crime number and that was it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The problem with that idea is that if you took police officers off other duties to look for stolen bikes. The other sections of the community would be up in arms asking why they are not dealing with, murders, burglary, shop lifying, etc, etc, etc. They are in a no win situation

Such police actions were common in the city that I lived in NL. There would normally be quite high profile mention on the local news as well.
It was still possible though to approach some "likely characters" at the train station and point to the bike you wanted, hand over some € and have it delivered to you around the corner a little later. Cycle-parking was later upgraded so that it was off-street and needed either a bike or ticket to enter.
Mind you, I would also be subject to regular light checks in winter on a popular bike path and there were random, focused checkpoints for light bikes on weekend nights in the centre. Also, the council did regular "sweeps" with a flatbed truck and removed any and all bikes illegally locked in places. Since I left, they now have fines for using a mobile phone while cycling.

The problem with that idea is that if you took police officers off other duties to look for stolen bikes. The other sections of the community would be up in arms asking why they are not dealing with, murders, burglary, shop lifying, etc, etc, etc. They are in a no win situation

There would be a regular focus on "X" offences at different times, random and unpredictable. Drink driving, drugs, bikes, all done. In truth, for minor crimes - such as bike theft - there was little investigation just more of a focus on providing the paperwork for an insurance claim. I was very surprised once when it seemed there was a glut of fake €s in the city and there seemed to be little appetite from the Police or banks to investigate - just claim on the insurance.

classic33

Leg End Member
One thing worth noting, most police forces have a £300 minimum on stolen goods from shops, some are seeking to raise it to £500. Unless there's violence involved they will not get involved in shoplifting.

Third hand reporting of crime is another area where some forces will not even bother with. Third hand in this case includes reporting theft from private property, that may be ongoing at the time, if there's an alarm on the property. It falls upon the alarm company, or residents/owners to report it.

Having tried to report a theft in progress, from a house, bikes amongst the items being loaded onto the pickup, I was asked if I'd go to the property to ask them to put it all back. Not a chance, being outnumbered four to one being the biggest deciding factor behind me saying "No chance" to the person on the other end of the line/call.

simongt

Guru
'A thousand dollar mountain bike', and they lock it up with a flimsy combi chain lock I'd expect to see in a thrift shop. I'm surprised the thief wasn't suspicious.
Either desperate, or stupid. :whistle:

CharleyFarley

Sting operation and trying to find stolen bikes being sold.

View: https://youtu.be/b9gOjBhk1q0?si=hM7-IQDwtim21nEe

I registered three bikes with the local cops. They photographed them, took my personal details, and put stickers on the bikes, but they warned me that if they're stolen it's unlikely they'll be recovered.

I recently sold my Electra cruiser (made by Trek), and I made it clear in the ad that if they want to take it for a test ride, I'll hold their cash until they come back. If it's damaged, they've bought it. I trust nobody.

I saw a video where a cyclist stopped to rest on a park bench. A guy came up to him and showed great interest in the bike, and struck up a conversation with the owner. Then he asked if he could take it for a quick ride. The owner agreed, and that was the last he saw of his bike.

Biker BoB

Weve had people in the shop try it,one was successful.
She came in 3 days running and luckily it was the boss she finally got to let her test ride it.
...gone....
Now test rides are an accompanied event...

Cops just looked at CCTV and said nothing they can do other than log it for insurance

Big John

Guru
We had someone nick one from the bike charity where I work. Must be over ten years ago now. One of the volunteers, a recovering drug addict, went off in chase and actually caught the guy. A scuffle ensued and our guy won. The bike was safely returned to the shop. It got in the papers and he was hailed as the 'have a go hero' which he fully deserved. To nick is one thing but to nick from a charity is another level.

DRM

Guru

Yet if you’ve seen any of these auditors on you tube, filming outside a police station they can manage to get half a dozen officers outside and make an illegal arrest, whereby the auditor gets thousands in compensation, or they turn up to companies, when someone calls to say that someone is filming outside, when the call handler should ask are they on site? no, in that case nobody is coming out, it’s not illegal to film or take photos in public, yet out they come 99 times out of 100 getting it wrong

It is really hard to catch a burglar red-handef at the scene of a crime. It is really hard to locate the lockup garage of a local fence.
Bait bikes with trackers can lead police to the operation of local crime gangs, with evidence to convict. Once they find the fence, they can resolve hubdreds if other stolen property crimes.
Bait bikes are the easiest way, it is lazy man policing. Let the criminals come to us.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yet if you’ve seen any of these auditors on you tube, filming outside a police station they can manage to get half a dozen officers outside and make an illegal arrest, whereby the auditor gets thousands in compensation, or they turn up to companies, when someone calls to say that someone is filming outside, when the call handler should ask are they on site? no, in that case nobody is coming out, it’s not illegal to film or take photos in public, yet out they come 99 times out of 100 getting it wrong

You are totally right. I wonder if any of these officers watch Facebook or YouTube. The officers who get it right, rarely get shown. The others look like idiots. Every police officer in the country need to be educated on this.

DRM

Guru
You are totally right. I wonder if any of these officers watch Facebook or YouTube. The officers who get it right, rarely get shown. The others look like idiots. Every police officer in the country need to be educated on this.

Funnily enough Auditing Britain was detained & harassed by a Sergeant & trainee in Birmingham, along with around 4 other cronies that suddenly appeared from nowhere,yesterdays offering showed AB in Birmingham again & right at the end he sees the same Sergeant who addresses him with "hello Mr Britain", so he either knew full well who he was speaking to, or has since found out after much urine extraction from colleagues who went on to view the video, I suspect the latter

Top Bottom