If you had sufficient time, space and money...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

...what 'special' bikes would you build?

When I'm staring at the wall in lectures my mind tends to wander over interesting projects I might undertake. I'm not necessarily talking about really expensive endeavours - one idea I'd like to try is to get one of those cheap generic carbon frames (something like my Ribble Sportive perhaps) and build it into an ultra-light singlespeed road bike. With some mid-spec wheels you could have a real featherweight without really trying.

So what would you do?

Matthew

Garz

Squat Member
Build a new bike from scratch, trouble is it would take ages as I would only buy a few parts at a time and being hooked on the quality would have to build something unique and substantial.

Probably will go for another pre-built bike with the majority of wanted components but would love to self build one too MM.

Something like a brox. More for the engineering challenge than anything else as I'm not sure I could do much more with it than hitching the trailer up to the hybrid. Be awkward to store for the use it would get too.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Garz said:
Build a new bike from scratch, trouble is it would take ages as I would only buy a few parts at a time and being hooked on the quality would have to build something unique and substantial.

Probably will go for another pre-built bike with the majority of wanted components but would love to self build one too MM.

This thread was partly inspired by having just enjoyed rebuilding my nice fixed, the Genesis Flyer.

After freeing the stuck seatpost (argh) a few months ago I'd stripped all the bits off it except the headset cups so it was almost a full rebuild. Must get some pics up one of these days...

Touche said:
I would want to put together something like this although I am not too keen on the frame and would use something else.

I can see the appeal. I bet it weighs as much as a brick outhouse though - looks more like a heavy tourer than a commuter. ;)

Matthew

A replica of a Peregrine racer from around 1894/5. They were made by the Leicester Cycle Co on the site where Cyclemagic now stands.;)

I'm currently talking to a frame builder to see of he can build a batch up for me. I can source most of the parts but not the 30" front wheel (the rear was 28")

So I'm probably going to have to drop them down to 28" fronts and 26" rears so that I can get the tyres.

Here's a picture of a similar bike - sadly not a Peregrine, I haven't got a decent picture of one. Yet.

racer.jpg

jimboalee

Hilldodger said:
A replica of a Peregrine racer from around 1894/5. They were made by the Leicester Cycle Co on the site where Cyclemagic now stands.;)

I'm currently talking to a frame builder to see of he can build a batch up for me. I can source most of the parts but not the 30" front wheel (the rear was 28")

So I'm probably going to have to drop them down to 28" fronts and 26" rears so that I can get the tyres.

Here's a picture of a similar bike - sadly not a Peregrine, I haven't got a decent picture of one. Yet.

racer.jpg

I'd like a High Wheel Bicycle.

lukesdad

Ive built 2 from scratch my xc racer and my road climbing bike the xc is fine but the climber is sort of obselete as far as tec. goes. though its very satisfying.Its bloody expensive,and the missus is never impressed as the money could go on her horses, but I dont run a car so I think I can justify it.

Unless you ve really got the urge probably better to buy a stock bike and get any components changed at purchase. My father years ago used to build all his own bikes from scratch,probably where I get it from. Attention to detail is probably the biggest plus.

Top Bottom