If you stop riding for a while would your blood pressure increase?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I've been off the bike for 3 weeks due to hip injury of some kind. During that time I can feel my blood pressure is up. This comes after a long period of constant riding on an almost daily basis, so I have gone from full throttle to full stop overnight. It feels like I have a huge heart in their pumping away as if on a ride but there is no need as Im not riding at the moment. Is this normal?

yes I will talk to the GP as well but just wondered if others had experienced anything similar.

Ta.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've been off the bike since late September, again due to injury. As a result my exercise regime has dropped from 50-60 miles a week on the bike, plus work and walking, to just about nothing until the last 3 weeks.
Resting HR has increased, and the light workouts that have just begun really get it going.
Not sure if my blood pressure increased though, since Garmin won't measure that....

vickster

Legendary Member
High BP doesn't really have any symptoms...which is why it goes undiagnosed and can be so dangerous

Get a proper check, especially if you have a history of anything cardiovascular

I control my high BP with both medication and exercise. 10 months ago my meds were halved because of the amount of cycling I was doing. I got rather ill back in May (housebound due to asthma for best part of 5 months) and have had quite a long time off the bike during which time I have noticed my BP is increasing again (observations by upper arm cuff monitor at home). 3 weeks off exercise is more than enough time for my BP to start increasing (and pulse as well)... I usually start seeing some changes within 1 week off the bike and within 2 weeks of no exercise it is quite noticeable. Best wishes and hope your hip injury improves soon. SNSSO

Top Bottom