Im hearing a noise in the middle ring ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi everyone

Im hopping someone can shed some light on this problem.

Ive been hearing a noise when on the middle chain ring and regardless of what rear sprocket, its a sort of a rattle come grinding noise with each pedal revolution I think.

Ive checked the teeth and they look ok the bike has only done 500 miles but incidentally ive only noticed this after the lbs fitted a new bb. Ive also slipped the chain off and the bb does seem smooth and noise free so not sure what it can be ??.

Any help would be much apreciated

02GF74

Über Member
check the bolts holding the middle ring are done up tight .... but the outer is held with the same ones so tht is not it.

next check that the chain on the mioddle ring is not touching the front shifter.

bottom bracket would make noises in all rings at the front.

Jonathan M

Even chain rub on the front mech sounds unlikely, usually this will happen at the extremes, so middle ring, big or smallest sprocket. Can't see how it would occur over all of the gear range at the back, because at some point the chain would be straight back & pretty much in line with the middle ring & a sprocket on the back.

It isn't the front mech touching the outer chainring is it? In middle ring, mech just touching the teeth of the outer ring? LBS might have knocked it out of alignment when fitting the new BB.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thanks for the replies,

Yeah it does sound like chain rub but def is not first thing I checked.

The rings are tight I checked last night the middle ring is showing more signs of wear but its the one I use the most, it does not look like its shark finned at all.

I should have said this noise only happens when under load and at a fairly high cadence aswell I did think it was the chain flexing and hitting the pins of the big front ring cant really rule this one out as I dont know how to test without killing myself !?.

when I slipped the chain off and tested the bb it was pretty much silent I could not hear a thing, only reason I say that is when using the big front ring the chain noise increases through the pullies on the rear mech and it could be that that noise is louder than the above noise im hearing in the middle ring ;-( im confusing myself now

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Hi Raindog

Yes thats exactly what I thought but he was adamant that there was some play in it and it felt gritty !.

I have to say its a reputable independent shop that I was recommended to but I was surprised to say the least.

Never the less im pretty sure its not the BB as ive tested it without the chain on and it feels fine with no noise

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Hi

Yes I have lubed the chain infact I do it once a week, not sure what else it could be apart from a slightly off middle ring or something

Top Bottom