I'm off....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

rich p said:
....to have my ears syrringed so I can hear you lot better.
They don't use that bloody great silver thing that looked like it came out of The Devils any more, apparently.

Yuh what ;) Eh......... I caaaaaaant hear YOU what did you say Richy ?????

:rolleyes:

Apparently you're more likely to get your ear blocked on the side you sleep on. I hate having my ears syringed, makes me dizzy...

WeeE

:blush:I had ear/hearing problems as a child and for months before & after getting an op, I used to go regularly to get my ears syringed with the giant cake-icing thing. It all depends on the person doing it.

My doctor - one of the other doctors in the surgery had his surname and had the same first name as me. I decided that this was a sign:as he was very good at syringing, and used nicely warm water, I told him I was also going to marry him when I grew up.

He was very tactful about the age difference. (I was six.)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
My ear ache this week has been diagnosed as hard wax in the (left) ear. I have been told to soften the wax with warmed olive oil, two or three times a day.

Can anyone tell me what to expect when I have my ears syringed next week. I thought there was a thread about this a few weeks ago, but could not find it in "Search". TIA

WeeE

Speicher said:
Can anyone tell me what to expect when I have my ears syringed next week. I thought there was a thread about this a few weeks ago, but could not find it in "Search". TIA

It's decades since I got it done, (I had skin-tag things growing in my ear canals, impacted wax as a result) with a thing that looked like a cake-icer, but the basic process can't have changed much - they gently scoot warm water in your ear while you (with your head slightly tilted) hold a kidney dish to catch the dribble. It gurgles, but if it's done well it's painless, even quite pleasant.

It can help if you open your mouth, specially if you can do that thing at the back of your throat that you do when you "say ah". It helps stop bubbles/pressure and keeps it painless.

Sometimes you get odd trickles of gunk down your throat. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know whether this happened because (a) my ears were blocked or (:biggrin: because they were beginning to unblock - but anyway, it tastes pretty :smile:, and you soon find out if you're a swallower or a spitter.

My advice is spit, (into the kidney dish). A good ear-syringer will be alert to your hand signal and pause to let you spit if you need to.

HobbesChoice

theclaud said:
That's my point - they don't. It's pure mumbo-jumbo. I've no objection to a bit of a placebo, but sticking flaming objects into delicate orifices has to be a bad idea (except for those who really can't get their kicks without doing so). I'd heard the Hopi were a bit pissed off about their name being exploited and misused for marketing a spurious treatment.

You're actually generalising on the basis that they don't work for YOU! They do work, not for everyone as nothing does, but for those people they work for it's a welcome relief and doesn't involve all the side effects of syringes etc.

Alternatively, a little drop of olive oil in the ear for 10 minutes or so helps break down ear wax. Not a great feeling as it trickles out afterwards though.

Yes, the Hopi were very miffed at having their name used/exploited.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Speicher said:
My ear ache this week has been diagnosed as hard wax in the (left) ear. I have been told to soften the wax with warmed olive oil, two or three times a day.

Basically they have a machine with a fine tip connected to a vat of warm water. You hold a large jug thingy under your ear and then they pump the water into your ear which then should disperse the wax and this collects into the jug thingy with the water. It is not an unpleasant sensation and the joy of when you hearing comes back is rather nice. I have to have mine done twice a year so rather a veteran at it.

Top Bottom