I'm outta here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Off to Whitby this morning for a gentle cycle ride to Scarborough and back with a colleague who wants to sample cycle camping. Back on Sunday night then off to Edinburgh on Monday morning for a yet to be decided permutation of Coast and Castles, Three Rivers, White Rose, Pennine Cycle Route, C2C, W2W, Reivers Route or something in between - planning at its best :wacko:

I reckon I should have shares in Sustrans as i've got most of their maps, most of them unused.

videoman

Guru
Have a great time you lucky devil and hope the weather stays dry. This is something I would love to do but do not have any friends into cycling (probably don't have any friends come to think of it).

jags

Guru
loads of friends here videoman ,but yeah that sounds like a great tour hope the weather is kind enjoy.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
vernon said:
Off to Whitby this morning for a gentle cycle ride to Scarborough and back with a colleague who wants to sample cycle camping.

That's a nice little route. The Robin Hood to Ravenscar bit was one of the very first things I did when I was getting into cycling last summer.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

videoman said:
Have a great time you lucky devil and hope the weather stays dry. This is something I would love to do but do not have any friends into cycling (probably don't have any friends come to think of it).

Dry? Hah!

Most of the outward leg was in heavy rain with a single strike of lightening to add a frisson of fear at the very start of the ride near Whitby Abbey. The cycle track along the old rail bed was awash and made the surface energy sapping.

We had a very odd experience at a part of the route which was fenced off because of a land slide and a diversion was followed. Despite our sincere beliefs that we'd followed the diversion, we rejoined the rail bed 50m further back from the start of the diversion - weird. We decided to ignore the diversion and lifted our bikes over the fence and pedalled along the rail bed to the landslip to find that we could, with little impediment, get through. Anyone cycling along the rail bed could ignore the route closed sign and press on.

We had tea and cakes at Ravenscar. We were accosted by a four year old who wanted to have a dea rat removed from the pavement round the corner from the tea shop. He wouldn't ask the shop owners and he persuaded us to follow him to view the body. It turned out to be a shrew and was most pleased when we kicked it into the gutter. He was a persistant little chap.

The rain stopped just in time for beer in Scarborough. A Brace of pints and the return journey started. Although the rain had stopped the track bed was still very sticky with large puddles to pedal through. A brief stop six miles in the homeward leg for more beer and we press on on with a vew of a beer in Robin Hoods's Bay. The stickiness of the rail bed surface took its toll though and we could only mange around a 10mph average speed. We reached Robin Hood's Bay too late to contemplate beer at the bottom of the hill but just in time for heavy rain all the way back to Whitby.

I've never got so dirty from a bike ride before. My bike is covered in grit and crud as is my saddle bag and pannier and shoes. Off ot clean things up and lube the chain ready for the second 'off' in the morning.

Despite the foul weather, we had a nice time especially the post ride curry at the Station.

Edinburgh here I come!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Vernon, I remember having a curry at the Station in Whitby some years ago. Some diners did not seem to realise how close they were sitting to the rails. At that time, and I do not suppose it has changed, not many trains arrived at Whitby, possibly one at 8 pm ish. A few people got quite a shock when the train came in. Are the tables still that close to the trains? :biggrin:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Speicher said:
Vernon, I remember having a curry at the Station in Whitby some years ago. Some diners did not seem to realise how close they were sitting to the rails. At that time, and I do not suppose it has changed, not many trains arrived at Whitby, possibly one at 8 pm ish. A few people got quite a shock when the train came in. Are the tables still that close to the trains? :biggrin:

Nope. The station is now single track and there's a buffer stop installed well short of the restaurant. The restaurant serves a very nice curry.

Church Fenton Station has a very nice Indian restaurant and the trains pass underneath the station building. It makes for an interesting experience when the floor rumbles when a fast train passes underneath.

Now packed and ready for the 10:05 to Edinburgh tomorrow.

Top Bottom