I'm realy fed up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mds101

Last year I rode a lot (for me) and including the commutes the odd tour and the long rides pulled in about 5000 miles. I was really pleased. So i decided that this year I would go further, I would sort out a more cofortable bike (last year was an old pug) and would aim toward audax events as I was feeling really quite confrotable, on my own, upto around 100 miles. Then.....

- A week before christmas I fell off and hurt my writs.....this took me out for a week (although it still hurts a bit)
- Boxing day I got a cold....turned into a cough and lasted until near end of January.
- Last week I slipped on the ice and hurt my back (nothing serious, just twisted funny...the common lower back pain)

The upshot is that so far this year I've managed the full commute 4 times(120 miles) and one 50 mile early Saturday morning ride, which I found to be more tiring than I'd expected.

And I can't believe how much money I am having to spend on petrol!

I was hoping to do some early shorter audax rides to get build up soe experience...and then hoping to move upto 3/400k by the end of summer. I'm thnking that this is out and that if my back doesn't get better soon I will be starting from near zero fitness again.:sad:

Any advice on how I can get my back better / stronger quickly and how I can get fitter quickly and still achieve my goals for the year. Or do you think I just need to lower my expectations this year and aim higher next?

Sorry for the long post, but really am P****d off.

Osteopath, who'll give you treatment for the injury and advise on a set of stretches and exercises to help prevent it happening again.

ASC1951

Guru
I know some people do lots more, but 5000 miles is a substantial mileage for a year. I try to combine mine with regular swimming and running and find that takes three days a week. If you are working full time and still want to do really big mileages you may find that you are sacrificing other worthwhile things.

Obviously it depends on your age and general athleticism, but if you are struggling with injury and illness now, I don't think a 400k audax within 5 months is going to be easy. Colds don't last a month if you are in good shape. That's not the same thing as being fit, in fact too much exercise can lower your general resistence. I think you may have been over-training last autumn.

Being injured is a real downer, but sorting your back "quickly" and getting fitter "quickly" isn't the answer. Certainly a month and possibly two would be my guess. The best guide is how you feel, not some self-imposed target - it's your body, so get used to listening to it.

There's no-one up there with a clipboard, putting a cross against your name if you ease off a bit.

amaferanga

Veteran
Sounds like you were pretty fit last year so I can't see why a 300 or 400km audax won't be achievable by the end of the summer. Its still just the start of February! If you're back cycling by the end of the month then you could aim to do some 100km rides in March, a 200km or two in April/May along with some shorter rides leaving you June/July/August and even September to build up to a 400. I certainly wouldn't be giving up just yet!

To put this into perspective, I started audaxing in 2006 with a single 200km ride at the end of the summer. In 2007 I rode my first 200 in April, a 300 in April, a 400 in May, a 600 in June, a 400 in July and then PBP (1200km) in August. Increasing distance isn't the hard thing really, just get the miles in and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
M

mds101

thanks for responses.
mickle....i was thinking of trying to book into a local physio, is this the samesort of thing?

asc1951...I think I understand where you are coming form, and I know that any 'targets' are self imposed, it just not nice to feel to have failed so early on. I do know what you mean about sacrificing other things though....I don't work full time, only four days a week and hopefully down to three soon. But I like to think I'm filling me time with worthwhile stuff rather and trying to remove the mundane.

amaferanga...that sound positive. probably the sort of thing I wanted ot hear really. don't think I want to go as far as PBP though!

All said and done, I'm probably just feeling low today because I havn't been able to ride or do any kind of exercise for a while and doing nothing does tend to make me feel low. I'll probably feel fine next week, get back on the bike do a few short trips out and feel much better.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I cant offer any advice, only to say that I broke my wrist in a fall in August, and fell on it again this January and re broke it...it's rideable but bloody painful and I feel for you. I just keep it immobile when off the bike and eat lot's of painkillers when on it.

ASC1951

Guru
mds101 said:
it just not nice to feel to have failed so early on.
Tsk tsk. No-one Fails nowadays - you just "succeed differently".

If you are a lean keen racing machine you are obviously going to recover sooner than Mr Lardychops who only waddles down to the bookie, but a cold lasting a month is usually a sign that your general resistence is low, so I think you do need to look after that as well as getting the miles in. Physio is always my first call for any injury, too.

I think most of us feel a bit down when we can't exercise - all those endorphins!

Randochap

Senior hunter
There are ups, and there are downs. Things will look brighter come spring.

Do a bit of cross training. I love my bike(s), but couldn't face the Wednesday ride today as I've had a bit of a cold that's hanging on. Instead, I went to the gym and did some weights, running and rowing machine. Feel great now!

OP
OP
M

mds101

Please don't get the impression that I am a mean lean racing machine....I'm not obese, but could lose a few. I just seem to have found an acitivity (sport?) where I can keep going for long periods (I think its in the legs and especially the thighs). I'm certainly not fast.....which is why, having read these boards and other peoples experiences for a while, the idea of audax is appealing.

Thanks for the +ve comments. I went to a physio yesterday, I feel much better already....although I had a lot of things done to me that I'd never had done before....he also explained a lot of things to me that I hadn't previously understood about how backs work, why they can hurt and all that stuff. And today I can stand up straight....hoorah:biggrin: I still hurt a bit, but apparently that might be due to the stiff he did, but shuld be able to ride tomorrow....first day of off, and off all next week so very happy if that works out.

ASC1951

Guru
A good physio is a wonderful thing. I go to Magic Pam in Leeds http://www.physioworld.co.uk/WhosWho.htm who treats international athletes but is always polite when I exhibit my not-quite-an-athlete body. Much better than the tooth-sucking noise the garage makes when I take the battered green Astra in for repairs.

I also like the way I always leave the physio's feeling better, not just clutching a prescription. OK, I find it very difficult to keep doing the stretches and twists even after I'm fixed, but that is my own fault and it's usually a year before I am back again.

Top Bottom