I'm tyred...can someone help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
2017-02-19 12.46.02.jpg
2017-02-19 12.46.38.jpg
2017-02-19 12.46.38.jpg
2017-02-19 12.46.38.jpg 2017-02-19 12.46.02.jpg 2017-02-19 12.46.38.jpg Hello folks, as you can see from the attached photos l have a tyre issue with my Gitane . Can anyone advise on a supplier for replacement tyres/tubes.And that brings me to another question, are these clincher rims and if so what does that mean in practical terms, as in how on earth do l fit new stuff?
Sorry to be such an ignoramus but l haven't had to deal with this problem before.

midlife

Guru
Let the type down and see if it can be pushed away from the rim, if it can then it's a clincher.

Shaun

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Yes l let a tyre down and when l squeezed it together both sides came away from the rim. The rim also seems to have a sort of rolled over inward profile which l suppose helps retain the tyre. The tyres which are on at the moment are Michelin BIB-TS20 and stamped 20-622 and 700x20.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yes l let a tyre down and when l squeezed it together both sides came away from the rim. The rim also seems to have a sort of rolled over inward profile which l suppose helps retain the tyre. The tyres which are on at the moment are Michelin BIB-TS20 and stamped 20-622 and 700x20.
They're sometimes called hooked rims because of this little inward lip. 700c x 23c are a much more common size (more choice of style) and look like they'd sit fine on the rims.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The 'hooked' rim is what allows higher tyre pressures (needed on 20mm tyres) but I'd think anything up to 28s would be fine.
AFAIK the only 20mm tyre readily available is the Continental Grand Prix 'Supersonic', great tyre but they have the puncture resistance of a cheap prophylactic.

midlife

Guru
Must be a pretty decent tyre, because although its looking a bit sad l have been riding around on them for the last few days and they haven't gone pop!
The attached has nothing to do with all of this but l thought you might like to see a bit of "BLING"http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Velo-course-...me-/252774117928?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Funny extra bits around the lugs, bit different from my ALAN. I had a few gold bits in the 70's but much preferred black :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Funny extra bits around the lugs, bit different from my ALAN. I had a few gold bits in the 70's but much preferred black :smile:

Shaun
I couldn't get away with it, the French have enough fun taking the "mick" out of an English bloke riding around on what they regard as old fashioned French bikes !

If I were you, I would go for a 23mm tyre rather than the 20mm currently on it. In very broad terms: slightly wider means a little less air pressure required and a bit more comfort.

There are a fair few 23mm around with old style gumwalls (brown/tan sidewalks on the tyres). Lots of people like the panaracer pasela. There are a few threads on here if you dig around.

Top Bottom