im worried advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hello everyone

Just wanted a bit of advice please.

On my way home from work bit tired stupidly changed to the front top chain ring whilst at a stop and then when pushing away too hard heard a big clump...not good. I could at this point hear a strange loud zipping noise where the chain was going round on the front ring, got further down the road and the pedals jammed, I quickly unclipped and stopped turned the bike upside down and can only describe the mess as the chain trying to fold in half. I had a strugle to pull it back through the front mech and back on the ring, the rear derailure needed bending back slightly also where the chain must of pulled it out of shape.

Any way got home and saw a small but deep chip on the bottom part of the frame going to the cassette where the chain must of hit as it sort of come off, its about 0.5mm deep should I be worried about this chip !!??, I dont want it getting weak and eventually failing it is only small and the misses looked and laughed but I wanted to check. Bike is a bad boy 700

Thanks

Archie

Errrr.....
This would probably be better off in Know How. Don't worry, the admins can sort that out.

What material is the frame? if it's steel I wouldn't worry personally, but alu or carbon would cause slightly more concern. All the same, it sounds like a scratch so probably nothing to worry about.

Someone clever will be along soon.

garrilla

It sounds like you chipped the enamel/powdercoat.

You can resolve it with a lot of prep work, and base, layer and laquer to reseal. But this might bit too much for a little chip.

In the long run rust will start there. But you'll probably be along the n+1 chain before this will be a worry.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Ok sorry about that, its an alu frame and yes although its chiped/rubbed away I dont want it to get any worse.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Great thanks for the reply everyone, I was more worried about the potential safety aspect of this chip causing a weak spot or something.

Cubist

Still wavin'
bad boy said:
Great thanks for the reply everyone, I was more worried about the potential safety aspect of this chip causing a weak spot or something.

Unlikely that the chain will have hit it with enough force to cause structural damage. Paint over it with enamel paint or nail varnish, then cut a length of inner tube so it wraps round the chainstay (that's the strut leading from the cassette to the pedals) and fix it on with cable ties. Chains do come off occasionally and this will stop any more damage to the paint/powdercoating/anodising.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thanks everyone I do have a cannondale protector thing on but it wasnt long enough to stop where the chain dug in.

Thanks again great forum im really enjoying it.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
bad boy said:
Thanks everyone I do have a cannondale protector thing on but it wasnt long enough to stop where the chain dug in.

Thanks again great forum im really enjoying it.

Ahhh...another satisfied customer.

(sure that i got that from a kids programme or something)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Bad boy, if it helps I have a pretty old alli bike that has all sorts of scratches and dings on in from varying activities, she still holds up fine so dont be too worried that she might crack apart.

Happy travels!

Top Bottom