Indicators ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

I saw a set of lights the other day, Halfords I think that included turn indicators, part of me though "Cool" and thought it would work but I dont know how they would be in practice.

I was thinking car drivers would respond in the dark to them as they would a motorised vehicle, which would be good but possibly with this assume more speed and this could cause a problem.

In the daylight, I would be concerned as to whether they would be seen as easily as a hand gesture and are car drivers expecting blinkers on a bike, some take no notice of either and will race past an outstretched arm anyway !

CotterPin

The problem with indicators on a bicycle is that they are likely to be too close together to make it clear whether you are turning left or right. Arms are much better IMHO.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Lights with indicators have been invented dozens of times and they never catch on, for the reason cotterpin mentioned. Also, drivers expect (if they expect anything) to see a cyclist indicate with an arm. They may just not notice a blinking light, or associate it with turning, because that's not how cyclists generally indicate.

I think the people who design such lights tend not to be cyclists, or only very inexperienced ones. It's the sort of thing people who don't cycle think must be necessary or a good idea... (no offence meant in terms of you asking, BTW, sorry, that sounded a bit off - you've had the sense to think about it and come and ask...)

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Arch, no offence taken, I do not try to hide my Noob status !

You have confirmed what I was thinking, that they arent a good idea, but I hadnt thought of the to close together thing, even on a motorbike they are a lot further apart.

Mr Pig

As I turn right into work I have to brake hard as it's down hill. Cars often bomb down the hill so I have to indicate very early and hope they don't come up behind me after I've stopped indicating and started braking. Maybe some people indicate and brake hard at the same time but I can't.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
An arm signal has the advantage of "blocking" an overtake. Also another switch to put on the bars somewhere next to the bell, computer, lights, camera. Need wider bars ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:
As I turn right into work I have to brake hard as it's down hill. Cars often bomb down the hill so I have to indicate very early and hope they don't come up behind me after I've stopped indicating and started braking. Maybe some people indicate and brake hard at the same time but I can't.

Well, I can generally scrub off the speed I need to with one hand since I tend not to get up to very high speed, but I agree you sometimes need both hands on the bars. If I'm in any doubt, I'll alternate indicating and braking.

Mr Pig

mr_cellophane said:
An arm signal has the advantage of "blocking" an overtake.

Tell that to the people who've passed me whilst my arm was out!

PrettyboyTim

Bike indicators could be built as far apart as moped indicators, but they very seldom are, I think because they tend to be built as a single unit, rather than seperate bits that you bolt onto your bike. In general it's difficult to get people to buy expensive things for their bikes (unless they're enthusiasts) and when you're trying to keep the costs down you don't want to end up doubling the number of bits you have to bolt on your bike, and that's ignoring all the extra wiring between them you've got to do. As a result you end up with integrated beams that strap to your seatpost or something and that's going to limit the feasible width of the unit.

I sometimes think it would be nice to have indicators as there are some parts on my commute where I prefer to have both hands on the bars as I approach the junction. I also wouldn't mind having some brake lights. I have considered building them with a Smart 1/2 Watt rear lights, a bit of wiring, a couple of small rare earth magnets, a couple of reed switches and some superglue.

Night Train

Maker of Things
When I was a kid, in the late 70's early 80's I put indicators and brake lights on my bike. They were made from those huge plastic 2D cell bike lights and seemed to be effective at the time though that could just have been my perception and that I was riding a very early self built semi recumbent bike that caught a lot of attention.

I would like indicators and brake lights to be practical and acceptable on bikes as I have lousy balance with both hands on the bars never mind just one.

Top Bottom