Indicators...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Bikes are adorned with all manner of flashing lights anyway which are not intended as signals, so how are motorists expected to always know when these are used that they are signals?

thomas

the tank engine
dondare said:
so how are motorists expected to always know when these are used that they are signals?

Amber = Indicators.
Red = break/rear light
white = front light/reversing.

(I do appreciate your point though and agree that motorists might be too confused by them to follow them).

I like the idea, and they have some benefit in poorer conditions when it's not possible to take your hands off or not off for long. However if conditions don't allow you to signal you probably shouldn't be cycling at that time.

Not sure I'd spend the money on it myself

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Saw someone with them near South Quay (Canary Wharf). He didn't have any lights turned on on his bike even though it was 17:00 on a poorly lit path. So can't comment on how effective they would be, although they do look very narrow. I would prefer them if they were at least as wide as handlebars.

CotterPin

Spookily I passed someone with these on their bike yesterday and nearly asked him what he thought of them. If I seem him again I might ask him.

Interestingly I also passed someone indicating to turn right but they were not terribly confident about letting go of their handlebars. Their arm shot up for a second and then went back down again. There was barely any time for following traffic to register her intentions.

So it could be argued that this device might help people like her. Personally I think a bit of practice in a traffic free area learning to take your hands off the handlebars might be more beneficial.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
'kin stupid idea on a bicycle, if you ask me. A velomobile might be different, but only because with most of these it's hard/impossible to signal with your arms.

Keith Oates

Janner
Out here there are literally thousands of 100cc Motorbikes that are not much wider than a bicycle and they all have indicators that are very close together. When they are used they are very effective and show up much better than I would have thought was possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karimali831

My handle bars are too wide, usually I have to stretch out my thumb to press either button. They are completely visible on the road (at night) when batteries are not low of course. I much prefer using this than swinging out my arm all the time.

I do not use this anymore, as it is affected by wet conditions.

BentMikey said:
'kin stupid idea on a bicycle, if you ask me. A velomobile might be different, but only because with most of these it's hard/impossible to signal with your arms.

Yeah I don't think it would work very well.It would confuse motorists as well due to the fact I have seen every colour of the rainbow exhibited on the front of peoples bikes.

Zorg

I used to have some, they were slightly different as they didn't clip on and off. They were brilliant - it's so unsafe to use your arms, I always think. I really enjoyed having them.

Until I came out one day and they'd been ripped off my bike and stolen. :rolleyes:

Ho hum.

Twiggy

thomas said:
...However if conditions don't allow you to signal you probably shouldn't be cycling at that time....

I really can't agree with that sentiment.

There are situations where you can be perfectly safe, but are not in a position to safely remove your hands from the handlebars, such as when you're coming down a steep hill and need to be braking sharply so you don't end up hitting warp 9 by misstake.

Top Bottom