Indoor turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldgitofkent

Hi im looking to buy a turbo but cant afford too much. Im thinking a cyclops magneto or minoura hypermag. Are they any good or is there a better one for around £100/125
Cheers Shaun

gbb

Legendary Member
I have the Cycleops Magneto..and would recommend it oldgit...
Its quiet, just a gentle humm and you can sit a gently spin, or as soon as you increase the pace, it increases the resistance...
You can take it steady or it makes you work if you want it to.
No regrets buying it at all.

gbb said:
I have the Cycleops Magneto..and would recommend it oldgit...
Its quiet, just a gentle humm and you can sit a gently spin, or as soon as you increase the pace, it increases the resistance...
You can take it steady or it makes you work if you want it to.
No regrets buying it at all.

Have been thinking about getting one of those - anything else to know about it, gbb?

Slim

Über Member
I've also got one and would recommend it. As already mentioned, it's pretty quiet.

What else....

It comes with a QR skewer you can leave on the bike.

It doesn't seem to cause excessive tyre wear (I've heard some can be a bit tough on tyres - no personal experience ).

The bike fits on and comes off the turbo easily.

You'll get bored out of your skull without some form of distraction - TV or radio (don't try reading as the sweat will be pouring off you ;)

HTH

gbb

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
Have been thinking about getting one of those - anything else to know about it, gbb?

Well....no :biggrin:

Its simplicity itself to set up, hook the bike in and pedal, and its sturdy. The magneto is quiet, in the winter i just set it up in the living room in front of the tv and have an hour on it when the fancy takes me.
Actually, i reaised the magneto gives off a breeze, so i fashioned a piece of board so it blows the breeze round AT me...it's moderatey cooling.
Like all turbo's, its useful as a workstand if you dont mind kneeing down.
You really do set the pace. The resistance automatically increases as you pedal harder. If you get out the seat and honk it....you work ;).
Can't fault it...i'm very impressed

Edited to take in Slims point....
I run Gatorskins on my bike...absolutely NO noticeable wear on my tyre. Thinking about it, the magneto is on a swinging pivot. You can set the pressure it contacts your wheel with, i have mine set to the minimum contact possible, just so it doesnt allow the tyre to slip if you if you give it some.

Sounds perfect for winter.

In the light months, I much prefer real cycling after work, but getting old for thundering around the country lanes in the dark now - esp after commuting during the day. Looking for something like this to keep my mileage up Oct - Feb.

blindmanpugh

If you try looking on ebay or Gumtree, there was at Fan Turbo trainer listed for about £35 plus postage.

I have just returned to cycling after a long lay off and started regaining fitness by regular turbo training and am now up to 1 hour a day.

The fan turbo is relatively noisy but by using my old road bikle on it i now have a training system that has cost me approx £20 to refurbish and am now fitter lighter and slimmer than i have been in a long time.

All I am waiting for now is the new bike courtesy of the Cycle2Work scheme, once Halfords get their act together.

Top Bottom