Injured Finger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
It could take a long while to heal as you have cut through nerve endings. My OH done the same thing during the summer. The tip of his finger was cold and numb for quite a while but now feeling is starting to come back

Too late for the doctors to do anything about it - you should have gone when you first did it and they could get inside but now its all healed up its a bit late. To be honest you were lucky it reattached because often the lack of blood supply means it just withers up and drops off. But now you'll just have to live with it having damaged nerves and poor blood supply although there is a chance it will improve slowly over time.

compo

Veteran
50 years ago I sliced my little finger to the bone at the joint between the finger and the palm of my hand. I have had no sensation in most of the finger ever since although after having had tendons repaired I have lost no mobility or strength in the finger.

gary in derby

Hi Reiver

sliced the top off one of my fingers at the top joint. had it reattached at the hospital. took months of physio to get it working properly again and a couple of years to get the sensation back. but it did come back.
Do hope all works out for you.
Gary

I had a nerve damage injury many years ago - instead of losing the feeling it became oversensitive, I apparently damaged the nerve sheath running through the muscle and as a result it was picking up the muscle movement impulses and translating it into pain as well as muscle movement. The end result was that I have had to have numerous segments of that nerve (the ulnar nurve) severed permanately and as such accept the loss of feeling (which trust me is great compared to living in permanent pain).

Nerve damage takes time - roughly 2 years I'm told. I am now repeating the exercise with my leg where the dog bit off a chunk. Thankfully that is complete loss of feeling. I have been told to make sure I frequently touch the area to continually stimulate the nerve endings - they are there, the connection has been severed further up the leg. I suspect you need to do the same.

Curiously I have the complete and opposite effect at seeing the insides of my body. It does not bother me in the slightest, I find it fascinating! I have cut a significant lump off one of my finger knuckles and watched in fasicnation as the whole of my finger came out of the skin when I bent it and back again when straightened - this actually made life easier for the consultant to check everythign was OK because it was all visible (the student doctor had to leave the room to throw up!) (checking the tendon sheaths were not damaged for those who are wondering...). as for my leg back in Feb of this year, it was a fascinating lesson on the insides of a leg in detail with muscle, tissues covering muscle, fatty tissue, skin layers, a major vein and nerve and other such blood vessels all visible in detail albeit in Turkish translated by a friend who turned out to be squeamish! (but his english was better than the plastic surgeons and the other doctors, put together...) I quickly learnt how to do stitches after watching nearly 100 of them put into my leg. I am now very good at them when I was officially trained to do them back in May...

I'll leave the rest of you to your lunches, if of course you are not squeamish!

Berties

Fast and careful!
i sliced the joint on my thumb,now i have always had nasty cuts but you just know something isn't right,so off i go to a and e and told to go to plastics suite where they did a minor op to open up wound,investigate and restitch tendons,i only have half movement in the top of my thumb and the scare though only just visible the whole area is numb,but the vibration of riding aids better movement strangly enough,but my hands do get colder now

Top Bottom