Injured in Corsica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dunc68

Help wanted! I was on holiday in Corsica and was knocked off my bike by a 4X4 who thought it would be a good idea to try and overtake me on a downhill right-hand bend - something came the other way so he moved in and hit me rahter than the other vehicle. Police/ambulance were called and he admitted it was his fault. He was insured and we've completed some forms, but I'm supposed to send my version to my insurer - I have no additional travel insurance other than health card. So now I don't know who can pursue my claim with his insurers - have tried a couple of 'no-win, no fee' types but they're not interested. Might not be worth it anyway as I 'only' have a subluxed shoulder. It was all pretty scary though (my French was up to the job, thankfully!). Anybody have any similar experience/advice please?

Bigtwin

You won't find anyone to do this for you cost-effectively.

Just do it yourself. It will be largely a matter of sending endless paper anyway - nothing too challenging.

andym

Über Member
Just write explaining that you are acting for yourself.

Hope it didn't spoil the holiday. I love Corsica, and I've spent a lot of time there, but it has the worst road accident record in France (as you might have guessed from all of the roadside memorials).

jay clock

Massive member
Nasty. I had a fab tour of Corsica and love the place, haviing been there four times. The drivers make mainland French look good...

I do speak French (bilingual) so if specific help is needed in translation let me know.

What costs do you want to recoup? If you can get medical costs repaid by the EHIC card, was the bike damaged? Are you looking for more nebulous "damages"?

To be honest if it is less than a £1000 or so, I would write saying you want x to cover that, add in a bit for your time and expense of pursuing it, and see if they send a cheque.

OP
OP
D

dunc68

Thanks for replies - I'll get a letter sorted and see what happens. I'm not expecting a massive payout and it didn't ruin my holiday, but I couldn't do any more cycling and it made camping with 3 kids pretty challenging, so I think a bit of compensation would be in order. It also still hurts - not sure if I'll be getting some physio or something as I don't see the doc over here till Mon.
Ps - agree that Corsica is lovely. I was a bit of a nightmare passenger in the car for the rest of the holiday though!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shoulders are tricky things. Be careful with private physio unless the other party admit's liability....but it's not in the UK.

Maybe try a cycle friendly solicitor. Get either CTC or British Cycling membership from now on - especially if you cycle a lot - third party cover and legal cover for £36....bargain - although won't help you at the moment.

Top Bottom