Inkjet cartridge refills?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

Does anyone have any advice about these? My crappy Canon ip1700 is in need of ink and I don't want to shell out the £30-40 odd it'd cost to get the 'proper' cartridges. I see there are kits like this on ebay for about £8 and I've watched a video or two which make refilling look fairly straigtforward.

Any thoughts? Good or bad experiences? Recommendations for cheaper refills?

Cheers,
Matthew

Debian

Maybe you'd have more luck than me but I've used the DIY kits as well as Cartridge World and everything's been rubbish. Leaking ink, blocked nozzles, shabby laser prints, etc.

Try by all means, I may just be unlucky but it's not for me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
I always use inkjet ones from eBay (a seller in Germany) on my old Canon i455 and they're always very good. Canon printers are supposed to be fairly unfussy about cartridges I seem to recall.
I have to say I heard the exact opposite - that Canon's are notoriously unhappy with anything but the real mccoy - this after I killed my i850 using cheapos from ebay.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cartridge World is where I get mine refilled. Most larger chains will do their own compatibles.

PC World/Currys are selling off their old stock at present, again. You might be able to get them there. £1.88 for a set of four seperate colour inks for a canon 6500.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
MajorMantra said:
Does anyone have any advice about these? My crappy Canon ip1700 is in need of ink and I don't want to shell out the £30-40 odd it'd cost to get the 'proper' cartridges. I see there are kits like this on ebay for about £8 and I've watched a video or two which make refilling look fairly straigtforward.

Any thoughts? Good or bad experiences? Recommendations for cheaper refills?

Cheers,
Matthew

Any of the ink kits at PC World work OK with my Canon Pixma ip printer.( It is at work right now, but I think it is a 1200) What you have to appreciate is that the printer manufacturers effectively give the printer away for nothing in the expectation that you will develop a seriously expensive " cartridge habit". Deny them that pleasure.

If you fill them up yourself, you may get bogus "ink low" warnings on the screen. Ignore those warnings and enjoy the economy.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Thanks for all the replies, some good suggestions which I'm chasing up.

HJ said:
For £40 you could just buy another inkjet printer... :laugh:

Correction for £28.53 you could just buy another printer...

...Except that they craftily ship these with miniscule cartridges that run out almost instantly. Makes me wonder about a laser printer actually - you seem to be able to get one for £80 or so which would probably be fine since I don't really need colour. OTOH I'm not going to be printing all that much for a while anyway.

Hmmm.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've tried cheapo refills a few times, and always had problems with them... so now I stick to the (horrendously overpriced) proper ones. :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Flippin nightmare the refill kits.

I ended up getting a new HP inkjet recently down from £200 to £100 on offer, and the original inks, via the net can be got for half the RRP and it uses individual colours, as 'yellow' seems the most popular to run out at our home.

If you are printing just black and white.... (and have space) get an old laserjet 5 from ebay - £50 is for the printer and £20 for an old stock/unopened original cartridge and they last years. We've got one along with the new 'flash' inkjet - got it years ago when doing a stack of work for a mate - kept his costs down.....

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1. We have a colour and a laserjet, and the girls know to use the colour only when absolutely necessary. Like you say, a LJ cartridge lasts for ever. Inkjet printers only exist to let manufacturers sell 39p worth of ink & plastic for £14.99.

Danny

Legendary Member
I've had some success with black cartridge refills, but have never had decent results with colour.

However as refilled cartridges seem to run out more quickly than the branded ones I've decided that I wasn't really saving anything anyway.

Top Bottom