Inner tube poking out hole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markemark

Über Member
I have 25mm continental all season tyres about 8 weeks old. Discovered a hole about 3mm diameter in the side wall, about 5mm up from the rim. Thought it was something wedged in the tyre but fairly sure it’s the inner tuber poking out. No drop in tyre pressure so continued 7 miles to work without issue.

Can this be repaired with tape on the inside or is it new tyre time?

If it is the tube then it needs a new tyre.

I'd be surprised if it is though. Any photos ? Tbh you're best off taking the Tyre off to check asap.

si_c

Guru
Yep, if that's a gash in the tyre it needs replacing. I'd put a tyre boot on the inside of the tyre to prevent the inner tube poking out if you do need to ride home, but otherwise it's do not ride.

You might be able to get a refund/replacement, but if you've gone over something that has cut the tyre then unfortunately the retailer/conti are not to blame.

OP
OP
M

markemark

Über Member
Don’t know what it is but there’s a scuffed patch around it so I must have caught it on something. Will buy a replacement.

Definitely not brake blocks catching the Tyre ?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Don’t know what it is but there’s a scuffed patch around it so I must have caught it on something. Will buy a replacement.

Sound like the side of the tyre has been scuffed against the kerb or something - i.e. normal use damage.

A new tyre is the official thing to do.

Being tight fisted, I'd but a boot in - i.e. 3 inches or so cut from an old tyre, without the beads, and placed inside the tyre to fully cover the hole.
If should be stiff/non-stretchy enough that there's nothing bulging through the tyre gash.
Alternatively, you can pay: https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/maintenance/tools/park-tool-tb-2-emergency-tyre-boot__17771

If the gash was further from the bead then a patch should be fine but being only 5mm away is asking for trouble. Park's emergency boots are good as a get-you-home fix but they're not intended for anything beyond that and definitely not that close to the bead. If it was further down the sidewall then a patch cut from the sidewall of an old tyre works well if the tyre hasn't stretched out or deformed too much from the damage.

You can boot a tyre with any tough but flexible material, ductape, £10 notes , Parktools tyre boot. Actual sections ofq tyre cut out is a bit thick to boot such a thin tyre. Boots can last a fair while but you should replace the tyre ASAP.
Its a bummber when you destroy a new tyres against a curb, that is why commuter tyres are tougher, heavier and slower.

si_c

Guru
You can boot a tyre with any tough but flexible material, ductape, £10 notes , Parktools tyre boot. Actual sections ofq tyre cut out is a bit thick to boot such a thin tyre. Boots can last a fair while but you should replace the tyre ASAP.
Its a bummber when you destroy a new tyres against a curb, that is why commuter tyres are tougher, heavier and slower.

I knackered a tyre once on the way home from work, really annoyed me as it was newish, wasn't even from catching the curb, just from a bit of metal sitting in the gutter. I now make sure I ride a good 2-3 feet from the curb wherever possible to avoid both possibilities.

Top Bottom