Inner tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellDuffy

I have had to replace my tube and have realised that it doesn't quite fit. I took the front wheel of and the tube that was in is a 700 x 19/23. The tube and spare that I bought are 700 x 23/32C and 700 x 28/38C the diameter of the tubes are to big. What do the numbers mean and how to I stop my the tube kinking when I put the tyre back on?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Russell

adamhearn

Veteran
700 is the wheel size
19/23 is the range of widths the tube is [mostly] suited to
23/32 supports larger tyres
28/38 larger still

How much extra material/awkward a large one to use is down to the tube manufacturer, thickness of material, etc. Ideally you want to use as close to the tyre size as possible.

As you've indicated using a tube for a larger tyre will leave more material for you to find a space to hide it in. You can also increase the risk of pinch flats with too much material as it can be folded on itself. When installing, add a little air so the tube is easier to handle [in to the tyre space].

*mostly is where you can use smaller tube for a slightly larger tyre as long as the difference isn't extreme

Tim Hall

In addition to the excellent info above, what numbers are written on the tyre? It'll be 700 x nnC and/or nn-622, where nn is the width of the tyre in millimetres.

Tojo

Über Member
Also if you use an inner tube that is rated by the manufacturer as say 19-23 and you use it in a 28 width tyre it will have to expand more, therefore it will be thinner and less resistant to damage, I tend to be suspicious of tubes which say they can cover larger ranges of sizes and opt for more specific to the tyre size I am using...:thumbsup:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Tubes kink if you put too much air in when putting them back on the tyre/rim. Just check that the tyre width is within the range of the tube.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What do you mean by kink..... explain you're deduction of this , please and enlighten me...:scratch:
In order to give the tube some shape when you put it in the tyre before getting them both back on the rim, a lot of people inflate the tube slightly. If you put a little too much air in, the tube assumes too large a diameter and kinks when you try and fit it in the tyre. That's all.

Tojo

Über Member
In order to give the tube some shape when you put it in the tyre before getting them both back on the rim, a lot of people inflate the tube slightly. If you put a little too much air in, the tube assumes too large a diameter and kinks when you try and fit it in the tyre. That's all.

Ok,,got you but I've always slightly inflated an inner tube before I put them in that's the way my Dad showed me, I just asked as a kink describes a twist in my vocabulary... sorry to question you, its clear what you meant now, Thanks for you're quick response....:thumbsup:

Top Bottom