Innertube Sealant ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Evening Everyone after a day of 3 punctures due to thorns and general sharp stuff from farm work and hedge cutting im considering using inner tube sealant rather than going full tubeless has anyone tried this and any feedback would be great

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No experience myself but it's a subject that crops up from time to time. Search for "slime". Here's an example thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/inner-tube-slime-any-good.271098/

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hedge cutting is nightmare if its freshly done. Best avoid the road for a week or so and pray for rain to mush thorns. if they do it on a commute route then that awkward.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I entered a single track road the other day and a tractor was slowly coming the other way with a hedge trimmer on, leaving a lot of detritus on the road behind it. I turned around and went another way.

A friend of mine uses slime tubes but he’s suffered more punctures out and about than the rest of our group, who almost all run tubeless.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If you use sealant in an inner tube, it will work best if the inner tube is on the large side for the tyre - e.g. a 32-38 inner tube in a 28 mm tyre.
Since the tube isn't stretched the thorn will do a fairly good job of plugging the hole it's just made in the tube, and the sealant doesn't have too much to do.

I've had a thorn in my tyre for a month or so on a couple of occasions, with the tyre needing pumping every 2 or 3 days until I got round to changing it. No sealant involved, but it could only be an improvement.

The trouble with pre-filled Slime tubes is that they don't come in a good range of overlapping sizes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom