Inspiration needed-newbie that needs to loose weight/get fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Hi all, UK chap here, 40, 18stone.

Some years back (20) i was well into cycling, mainly mountain biking to get fit, it was quite a buzz! Now after sitting in fornt of a computer for 10 years, i am doing no exercise and need to loose weight! I have recently had problems with my knees, i have early arthritus and have had a meniscus tear in my right knee.

I have the funds to spend what is needed so no worry there. A pal of mine recently bought a snazzy Rose racing bike and after a long think, i recon cycling is probably the best way for me to fitten up. I am a gadget freak, anything tech, i love, so the more geeky the bike the better, this is the best way to encourage me to actualy want to use the bike!

But before i splash £3k :eek: on a fitted race bike, i recon its worth buying something secondhand to get me into some milage first...i would welcome your opinions on this...

So i am at your mercy chaps, fire away!:wacko:

Oh yes, and if anyone can point me at any blogs/write ups of fatties like me turning their lifes around by getting on thier bikes, that would be fab.

Many thanks all :hello:

Steve :bicycle:

Hey, my humble opinion... if you're starting out and want one bike only to start with, get a hardtail mountain bike, ie one with front suspension but not rear suspension. That way you can go pretty much anywhere on it, you can fit slick tyres if you want to, and when/if you get a road bike down the line, you will really appreciate that extra speed.

What initial budget are you thinking?

Make sure you get insurance!

Stu

John90

Über Member
It depends on your level of determination of course, but if you stick at cycling it is more likely than not that it will be because cycling becomes your default way of commuting. So I would get a comfortable hybrid bike, which is also suitable for longer trips if you fancy that.

OP
OP
Firm Button

Firm Button

Wow thanks for all the advice chaps! Initial budget maybe 500-700 quid, if i do really get into it am happy to spend much more.

As im so big and unfit, i need a bike that works with me right from the start, so it must fit me well, be comfortable and most importantly-want me to keep going! I want to be able to cycle up hill so gearing will be important! my mate has given me some ideas about what i will need-ie so i keep spinning when going uphill and not have to stand on the pedels(not good for my knees) so 3 front cogs and as many cogs as i can get at the back? also a nice smooth gear change....my old 20year old raleigh had an early STI system with Biopace(remember that?), thumb shifts that always needed adjusting to stop the chain coming off or making noise...hopefully things are better nowadays?! Also want low rolling resitance, so maybe narrow tyres? I was thinking Hybrid but maybe im better off with a comfortable road bike or tourer?

So should i go to a shop and spend my money on something new that they will fit to me(2nd hand or new), or buy something off ebay? Im heavy set, 5'8", with short legs (i find M&S trowsers often too long!)
:thumbsup:
Thanks chaps!

Steve

Ps, anyone near Uttoxeter/Burton on Trent area?:smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Wow thanks for all the advice chaps! Initial budget maybe 500-700 quid, if i do really get into it am happy to spend much more.

As im so big and unfit, i need a bike that works with me right from the start, so it must fit me well, be comfortable and most importantly-want me to keep going! I want to be able to cycle up hill so gearing will be important! my mate has given me some ideas about what i will need-ie so i keep spinning when going uphill and not have to stand on the pedels(not good for my knees) so 3 front cogs and as many cogs as i can get at the back? also a nice smooth gear change....my old 20year old raleigh had an early STI system with Biopace(remember that?), thumb shifts that always needed adjusting to stop the chain coming off or making noise...hopefully things are better nowadays?! Also want low rolling resitance, so maybe narrow tyres? I was thinking Hybrid but maybe im better off with a comfortable road bike or tourer?

So should i go to a shop and spend my money on something new that they will fit to me(2nd hand or new), or buy something off ebay? Im heavy set, 5'8", with short legs (i find M&S trowsers often too long!)
:thumbsup:
Thanks chaps!

Steve

Ps, anyone near Uttoxeter/Burton on Trent area?:smile:

2nd hand is great if you know what you are looking for. If not it can be a minefield. I would suggest an LBS in your case and tell them your budget is a little lower than it is :smile:

Bungleaio

A hybrid will be ideal.

I'm loving my Specialized Sirrus Sport. They are currently £450 which will leave you a few quid for extra bits and pieces. My LBS didn't give me anything for free but did knock 10% off as I asked him to upgrade the pedals and fit a computer.

The new model year isn't far from being launched which will reduce the price of the current ones but I really wanted to get on a bike and get out there. I've only had it a week and my last two rides have been over ten miles each.

Top Bottom