Insurance again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks,

I've not found it so far scouring the web but is there an insurance company out that insures a £1500 road bike on club runs (cafe stops), sportives etc without needing to carry a sold secure gold lock? Oh an the holy grail one which actually pays out ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Home insurance? As long as you make some effort to lock the bike, and don't mind a chunky excess?

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Home insurance? As long as you make some effort to lock the bike, and don't mind a chunky excess?
I could add them to this policy but it only covers bikes upto £990 and it'll be hidden in the policy that I'll need to carry a sold secure gold lock which isn't practical on club runs/sportives/TT's. My favoured contents insurance was M&S but they wont cover the flat I'm renting.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmm, I am with Sheila's Wheels (part of esure) and they'll cover any bike up to £500 (on top of the excess from what I recall) unnamed away from home...and any value named, also away from home. I have literally just added my new £800 Giant - £34 for the year, enough but not horrific. The £1500 Pave is already named, while the MTB comes under the £500. I made a sub £500 claim last September, they didn't ask any specifics about the lock, it was a not very good cable. My excess is quite high, but that's my choice to control the premium

M&S was much more expensive for me

Might be worth asking your club buddies what they do :smile:

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Hmm, I am with Sheila's Wheels (part of esure) and they'll cover any bike up to £500 (on top of the excess from what I recall) unnamed away from home...and any value named, also away from home. I have literally just added my new £800 Giant - £34 for the year, enough but not horrific. The £1500 Pave is already named, while the MTB comes under the £500. I made a sub £500 claim last September, they didn't ask any specifics about the lock, it was a not very good cable. My excess is quite high, but that's my choice to control the premium

M&S was much more expensive for me

Might be worth asking your club buddies what they do :smile:
Thanks for your time. I've named the 2 bikes a specific items on my Home Insurance so they should be covered inside the flat, for cover outside the home it was extortionate and only covered up to £990. From reports M&S is more expensive but less restrictive (covering any item of say £2000 away from home); they wont cover the flat because its on the edge of a historic flood zone, even though works were done several years ago to ensure it didn't. The bikes are still up in Scotland just now at my folks house but I'll bring one down at the end of a month and join a club, I'll ask around when I do.

Zakalwe

I don't ever lock my bike anywhere, the only cover I'd be after is for damage - would I still be required to carry a lock or would that invalidate my cover?

Zakalwe

If its the same cafe you always frequent, you could perhaps leave a lock there?

Top Bottom