Insurance Offer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Check for leaks on those M485 brakes, there was a problem with them. They've now been replaced by the M486. Any oil on the disks or calliper, tell them you want new brakes.

OP
OP
P

PoiSon

Got my bike today and its really nice. Feels so much lighter and easier to ride then my Carrera did. Only problem is the brakes are just shite atm!! I've been told to expect it as its a "trait" shimano brakes have and they should get better after a few rides but atm its kinda scary coming down my local hill at 35mph or so with these things lol

Anyone else had experience of shimano hydraulics?

Mr Pig

PoiSon said:
Anyone else had experience of shimano hydraulics?

Yes. Are they M485 or M486?

If they are M485 check very carefully for oil in and around the callipers and on the disk. Find any and that's why your brakes are crap. There was an issue with these brakes and Shimano are replacing them under warranty with M486 or sometimes better!

I was sent a set of M486 and they worked well straight out of the box. They did not get better with time, they were good straight away. I think they are trying to fob you off. Contact Shimano and tell them you are not happy.

OP
OP
P

PoiSon

I don't know tbh. I saw your advice before (thanks for that btw) and did check for the brakes and that. No oil or anything at all. It said m485 on the spec but if they've stopped making them now then maybe I have the newer set, will check tomorrow. He seemed to think that once they got a bit dirty they'd be better.

He did say though that if they don't improve before my 4 weeks service he would replace them so I don't think he was really trying to fob me off.

Mr Pig

That's fine then.

This is the 486:
19710.jpg

This is the near identical 485:
2090346400.jpg

Some 485's just have the word 'Shimano' on the side but most of the OEM ones have the large white circle. There is also a small rectangle on the end of the calliper with either 485 or 486 on it.

I don't know what the difference between them is, it certainly isn't much, but the 486 are better. They have better feel, are stronger and don't squeal at all. The 485 squealed like a pig!

I doubt that you're brakes will improve much over the next month, mine didn't, but that's cool that you'll get new ones. A few teething problems like this are par for the course these days. It's nothing to do with the bike manufacturers, it's the component manufacturers who seem to be pushing the spec at the cost of consistency and reliability.

Top Bottom