Interesting article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just reading this wek's edition of Motor Transport, the journal for the road transport industry. There's a good article on the cover about Cemex, who deliver cement products. They're urging other companies to follow their lead in introducing safety procedures to minimise incidents involvong cyclists. Apparently, their lorries are fitted with signs warning cyclists of the dangers of passing down the inside of lorries and proximity sensors which are operational when the left turn indicator is activated and which give a verbal warning to cyclists attempting to filter down the nearside. The article also says that you can fit eight cyclists around a lorry without the driver being able to see them.:biggrin:
It strikes me as a good thing that this issue is highlighted in a journal aimed squarely at the road haulage industry. What do others think?

http://www.roadtransport.com/Articles/2008/03/26/130197/cemex-follow-our-safety-lead.html

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think that it certainly is a good start. My bigger worry is the amount of foreign trucks over on our roads at the moment that are in an unroadworthy condition. We get a fair amount of Lithuanian trucks at our place and I have reported several as some have arrived in a terrible state. One had so many leaks in his airpipes that it was estimated his breaking power had been reduced to less than 10 percent. He had driven all the way from Poland fully laden ! A report in the local paper about the results of recent stop checks found that more than 60 percent were in a unroadworthy condition and the majority of those that were stopped were from Eastern Europe. :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Top Bottom