Interesting result in London street...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is that a two or a one way street for cyclist the movie does'nt make that clear. Good solution for local roads where the maximum speed is not that high anyway as cars usually take you over and then have to slow down because the limit in this kind over streets usually is'nt more then between 20~30

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Is that a two or a one way street for cyclist the movie does'nt make that clear. Good solution for local roads where the maximum speed is not that high anyway as cars usually take you over and then have to slow down because the limit in this kind over streets usually is'nt more then between 20~30

I thought it was 2 way, with a segregated ‘wrong’ direction, and a shared right direction.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I live just round the corner from this. Its a one way street for motor vehicles, but two way for cyclists. Cyclists going the same way as the traffic go in the middle of the speed bumps, and the lane to the left is for cyclists going the other way.

The bumps are brilliant as they are quite severe and so cars simply cannot go anything like as fast as cyclists who can just breeze down the middle. In fact in a strange traffic priority inverting parallel universe, I now take great delight in speeding down this road in the middle, and if there's cars chugging down it ahead of you, you can overtake in the cyclist lane, and cut back in ahead of the cars, and continue to leave them for dead as you speed through the middle of the bumps. Car drivers love this^_^. Its a very graphic demonstration they are wasting their time driving in London:becool:.

I think the bumps themselves are great, provided the traffic is 'hemmed in' and can't go round them, and their use should be extended. What Sustrans are failing to mention, almost seemingly deliberately not showing, about this particular 'cycle street' is that half way along it is the 'goods in' entrance to the local massive Tesco Kennington Superstore, opposite which is a big Safestore. The Tesco especially is huge and is stocked by the usual huge articulated lorries. As its one way the lorries do not seem able to turn directly into the Tesco entrance, on numerous occasions I've seen drivers have to pull right across into the entrance to Safestore opposite, thereby totally blocking both the road with bumps and the cycle lane next to it, and then reverse back into the Tesco entrance. It makes me wince every time I see it, and I would not describe any road that has lorries having to do this manoeuvre regularly as a 'cycle street'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stoatsngroats
I live just round the corner from this. Its a one way street for motor vehicles, but two way for cyclists. Cyclists going the same way as the traffic go in the middle of the speed bumps, and the lane to the left is for cyclists going the other way.

The bumps are brilliant as they are quite severe and so cars simply cannot go anything like as fast as cyclists who can just breeze down the middle. In fact in a strange traffic priority inverting parallel universe, I now take great delight in speeding down this road in the middle, and if there's cars chugging down it ahead of you, you can overtake in the cyclist lane, and cut back in ahead of the cars, and continue to leave them for dead as you speed through the middle of the bumps. Car drivers love this^_^. Its a very graphic demonstration they are wasting their time driving in London:becool:.

I think the bumps themselves are great, provided the traffic is 'hemmed in' and can't go round them, and their use should be extended. What Sustrans are failing to mention, almost seemingly deliberately not showing, about this ..../.....and I would not describe any road that has lorries having to do this manoeuvre regularly as a 'cycle street'.
This sounds great, and whilst the last part sounds like a nightmare, at least it’s a start, and could be copied widely maybe?

Drago

Legendary Member
Looks like an interesting idea. Great for bikes, but I bet there will be those that will complain that emergency vehicles will be impeded.

It's a complaint not without merit. Furthermore, they can cause other problems, particularly to ambo carrying patients with spinal injuries. However, on balance I reckon the death and destruction they save at the good end of the spectrum far outweighs the minor risk at the other.

Top Bottom