Introducing myself and questions about cycling in Southampton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gemsno4

I have been reading this forum for some time but never got round to posting before.

To introduce myself, I commute every day just under 8 miles round trip, which I know is pretty rubbish compared to some on here. I have been commuting on a Pashley Sonnet since February when I got it for my birthday, but have done the same route for the past 4 years. My favourite thing to do is overtake someone when I am in my work suit with the basket on the front (only happened once!!)

I began cycling after renting a bike in Chile, getting lost and ending up on the Pan America highway – the South American version of the M1. I realised if I could cope with that then a UK city centre really wasn’t very scary so started as soon as I got back.

Anyway, after getting to know every pothole on my current route looks like I may be relocating to Southampton. So my real point is can anyone from Southampton tell me what the city is like for cycling, does it have hills (I have been but you don’t notice until you are on a bike) and where would you recommend living within commuting distance of the university and city centre, which is beginning to stray off topic so I will leave it there.

thanks for reading!

garrilla

gemsno4 said:
Iand where would you recommend living within commuting distance of the university and city centre, which is beginning to stray off topic so I will leave it there.

thanks for reading!

I wouldn't live in reading, thats probably just a little too far for commuting.

[jacket smiley]

OP
OP
gemsno4

gemsno4

:wacko: my geography of the south of England is so bad I had to check that. Yes Reading would be too far at 50 miles. Maybe for a weekend?

steviesch

I went to uni there many moons ago - I fell off my bike when I was very drunk and woke up in hospital but that shouldn't put you off - just watch out for the Gales HSB. Not a bad place to live these days - cycling is fairly well provided for in Soton;not too hilly - there's even some cyclo cross races in Bassett not far from the Uni. what brings you to the area?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi gem,

I know soton pretty well, but not to cycle around. Messirs downfader, riverman (I think), iacula may have more info. Any of you gents (or ladies) around?

OP
OP
gemsno4

gemsno4

thanks for the welcome. My husband has just got a job at the uni so should be down in October. I will be (hopefully) working around Ocean Village. We are visiting this weekend to finally make up our minds.

I would miss cycling to work if I couldn't do it so thats why I am looking for area recommendations although I could probably manage up to 10/12 miles each way which should take me well outside the city I think. That is assuming I can average 10/12 mph which will then depend on the hill situation :biggrin:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome, I live a few miles north of Southampton it’s not a bad place for cycling in loads of cycly paths if you like that sort of thing, like any other town rush hour can be very busy, but out of hours it just flow with mostly no hold up. There’s a few hills around Southampton but none that I have to walk up as yet and I’m old. Transport is very good as far as I know and as where to live how much money you got ???
If your that way inclined there is the Southampton naked bike ride :biggrin: on the 12th June at 6PM it is a great laugh :biggrin:

jay clock

Massive member
I live in Winchester and regularly cycle into Southampton. Getting around is not too hilly, and the Common is a large park right north of the city centre which allows cycling on lots of paths. If you cycle from the Uni to Ocean Village you can easily go via the Common, and then cut through relatively small streets round Bedford Place.

Jay

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sorry I missed this, I've been watching the Saxons get slaughtered on the telly. :smile:

Yeah there are a few hills around here. Chessel Avenue and around that road are pretty steep, as is part of commercial road and those around that end of town. You should be able to miss those if you're heading from the Uni end of the city to the city center.

There are loads of places you could live to make an easy commute, depends how rough an area you want to live in LOL. Portswood is quite "studenty", Northam is considered a bit rough for some. Bitterne is quite nice in places.

Facilities for cycling are pretty sporadic. Theres plenty of road surface missing here, LOL, we've considered to be some of the worst roads in the south. :becool: I think some of the facilities and "safe" routes are on the council website and you can contact the cycling officer there too www.southampton.gov.uk I think it is.

iacula

I support what downfader says, east of the Itchen River and the North of the city tend to be the hilliest. You can reach the Uni from anywhere in the city as well as from places like Eastleigh and Chandler's Ford. The Uni is based around Portswood which has amongst the nicest (expensive) and worst bits of the city. I have the impression that you get better value for money east of the Itchen: Woolston, Sholing, Bitterne and Bitterne Park. I'm not an estate agent though... Bitterne Park gets some aircraft noise from overhead, I know I live there!
We're cut through by dual carriageways like all cities these days, but quiet routes are reasonably easy to find I would say, though it's usually impossible to avoid all busy roads.

OP
OP
gemsno4

gemsno4

Brilliant thanks for all the tips. Coming down at the weekend so will check out some of those areas. Hope to see some of you in October!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Dave Davenport said:
Check out www.sotonia.co.uk we're quite a friendly lot!

..and the cycling campaign.. though I'm not a member so dont know the website. Only a couple of quid a year, I joined the CTC instead myself though the local campaign group prolly have other functions you might be able to take advantage of.

Top Bottom