Inverness -JOg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodss

Veteran
I read most people go up the A9 ,I have the Sustrans leaflet which goes through Lairg ,Altnaharra. Does it make sense to go up one and down the other if the weather is good.I may well go into the islands when I am up there.I will go early April/May to avoid the midges

I am doing my own version of an End to End mostly hiking.I have done Cape Wrath to Edale in the west ish and have a another route already from Edale to Inverness.I intend to hike south from Edale. However I have looked at hike from Inverness to JOG,or Cannich on the Great Glen Way, both have lot of road and forest trail walking so I am going to bike a route.

I am a light camper so hike with about 7kg less food a water and intend to transfer this to the bike with odd hostel.B and B.

Any thoughts would be welcome

I'm confused. Are you going from Inverness to JOG and back to Inverness? Which islands are you talking about? Orkneys, Shetland or west coast islands. What do you plan to do with the bike when you are walking?

OP
OP
D

dodss

Veteran
Sorry to confuse you all.I have done the walking bits.I have already hiked from Cape Wrath to Edale Derbyshire and across from that route to Inverness via the Great Glen Way.
I intend to cycle from Inverness to JoG. But then thought I could also ride back to Inverness from JoG via a different route. Clearly that might change once I have got up there i.e fitness, weather etc Sustrans favour the Lairg route.It seems most people use the A9 should I do that first? which is best? most hilly,more scenic.
I thought of going at least to Orkney.
Subsequently I intend to continue my hike from Edale to Lands End .When I have done that I will have to done an End to End to the North east and North west Scottish extremities. I do hope that is clearer.

snorri

Legendary Member
It sounds as if you are seeking advice on a cycling trip from Inverness to JoG and back, returning without retracing your steps, with the option of a trip to Orkney.
Using the A9 in one direction and via Lairg Altnaharra for the other is perfectly reasonable. I can see no great difference in following this route clockwise or anticlockwise. The A9 route has the benefit of more options for eating places and accommodation, but has the disadvantage of heavier motor traffic.
There are three ferry crossing options for a visit to Orkney, with services from mainland ports at John O'Groats, Gills Bay and Scrabster.

Top Bottom