Is 40Nm enough? What is power? We must torque!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Actually it still works well. At 100kg I'm no lightweight, but as long as you accept what a Gain is designed to do, i.e. power assisted rather than powered, then it gives you that subtle, feels like it's riding with the wind behind you feeling that makes the Gain such a pleasure to ride. Hills, yes it's never going to haul you up like a Giant eroad that has 80nm of torque, but it still gives more than enough assistance to help me up hills I'd previously got off and walked.

Good to hear it works for you NickWi, I was speculating of course but I bow to your ‘onboard experience’

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're finding 40NM is marginal then I would suggest that it is in reality nowhere near 40NM. That's one tenth the torque of a older BMW X5 3.0 diesel, and even a big rider like me is only one twentieth the weight of an X5, so a genuine 40NM should feel like riding a tsunami.

aldus

i have the bosch active line Plus and at 18st 4lbs it has no problem propelling me up 20% climbs, with 50nm...........as long as you have the right gears available to you
Good to hear this... just picked up a Viktoria eFolding 7.4, with Bosch Active Line Plus, yesterday afternoon... haven't had a chance to try any thing more than a quick 1km ride from the train station (MAYBE a 2% grade at the worst) , but I'm looking forward to doing some more challenging riding on my commutes.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Mk1 male human being produces about 125Nm of torque just standing on the pedals, and a bit more if he pulls up on the opposite one, which is an option at low revs.

It's (just) enough to get up to Uffington White Horse on a 72" fixed gear.

aldus

The Mk1 male human being produces about 125Nm of torque just standing on the pedals, and a bit more if he pulls up on the opposite one, which is an option at low revs.

It's (just) enough to get up to Uffington White Horse on a 72" fixed gear.
And IF your knees are working! :P

Ok, for a simpleton, what's the difference betwixt power and torque?

I really like the look etc of the Ribble Hybrid Al e but am concerned that the torque will be insufficient to shift my significant mass up challenging inclines.

I've ridden a great number of e-bikes over many miles (mostly Bosch type mid drives but also Brompton electric, urban arrow etc) and am concerned that the modest 40Nm will not leave me smiling at the end of the ride.

I'm too far away to give one a test drive so your thoughts please.
My first ebike a Byocycle only had 30 NMT it was hopeless on steep hills even with a lower gear fitted now got a Kalkoff sahal that's got 70 NMT haven't failed to get up very steep hills in Wales

I really like the look etc of the Ribble Hybrid Al e but am concerned that the torque will be insufficient to shift my significant mass up challenging inclines.

I've ridden a great number of e-bikes over many miles (mostly Bosch type mid drives but also Brompton electric, urban arrow etc) and am concerned that the modest 40Nm will not leave me smiling at the end of the ride.

My first ebike was a Byocycle it only had 30nmt it was hopeless on steep hills even with a lower gear I got a Kalkoff sahal now that's got 70nmt steep hills are no problem you need plenty of nmt .

Garwyn

Depends where you want to cycle in Cambridgeshire or Norfolk fine but in Huddersfield you would want more

Top Bottom