Is a road bike right for London commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fay144

BentMikey said:
Road bikes will deal just fine with kerbs. You don't need the weight, un-aerodynamic position, or over-engineering of a MTB for an urban commute.

Oh yeah, totally agree... even if I have to go the long way round to avoid some nasty bits, then it will still be quicker, I'm sure. (Personally, leaning towards getting something I could also use as a tourer though, for weekends away.)

Spokesman

I'm impressed by brokenbetty's immaculate grammar and spelling. Bespeaks a good education. Praps, brokenbetty, u'd benefit from a supple longer-framed bike made of lightweight tubing, eg, Reynolds 531 or Columbus; a bike shop can advise. Dalston haircuts and bikes as style statements: yeah, frightening.

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
Many thanks for everyone's helpful thoughts and examples.

As with most things, it's not come out as a definite yes or no, but I am sure it's not good staying in a comfort zone. Enough people said have said yes for me to give it a shot. If I don't like it I can always go back to the hybrid, and I might just love it :laugh:

Adding trekking bars or bar ends to the current bike isn't really an option as I'd have to change other things as well - higher gearing for a start.

I'm going to hit Evans tomorrow (I know, but I need to buy it from Evans to use the ride2work scheme) and find out what they have in my size and price range - I'll let you know how I get on...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You might find difficulty in getting a bike to fit you well, so I'd suggest being careful and not accepting compromise. It may even extend to getting a custom bike. Much more expensive, but ultimately a lot more satisfying too. Two of my female friends have these, and are very happy with them. Another on here got an Islabike, ostensibly a kids bike, but very very good kids bikes.

Rassendyll

srw said:
Ahem. In London you do not jump kerbs anyway. Kerbs mean pavements. Pavements are for pedestrians. You've got 20 foot widths of tarmac to play on - leave the narrow bit for those who have a right to it.

You obviously have nothing to do with Wandsworth council who put in cycle paths without dropped kerbs to get on or off them, plus speed bumps in the paths themselves.

Kerbs, potholes, drains, concrete snots, expansion joints, tarmac ridges around access covers. There are lots of things one can legitimately need to jump, bump or lump without troubling the moral custodians of cycling.

Tynan

Veteran
I reckon about a fifth of the bikes I see on my A11 commute are road bikes

I leave you to guess whch type of bike is going quicker for less effort, barring the odd nut scraping it on on their hybrid or mtb

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
Went to Evans at Waterloo Cut today.

They've sized me up to a 47/48 -ish frame and suggested a women's fit bike. The only women's road bikes Evans do in my price range that will take panniers are the Trek 1.2 and 1.5 and the Specialized Dolce, but the only one they had to try was the Trek 1.2.

It felt good but a little shorter reach than I expected so I want to try the other for comparison. Also weird not having the brakes where I expected them to be! Visibility better than I expected - I tended to put my hands on the hoods for stops and corners anyway. I think I would get used to it fast.

Couldn't find any potholes or crazy bus drivers to experiment with for that true commuting feel - probably just as well :wacko:

I should be able to try the 1.5 tomorrow but I assume it will be the same feel as the 1.2, so I'll hold off making a decision until I get to try the Specialized.

Or I could just get another Cadenza and blow the rest of the ride2work budget having drops fitted http://foldingbikesusa.com/product/dahon-drop-bar-conversion-for-dahon-cadenza-models-542.htm :biggrin:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ah excellent - glad you got some assistance re sizing- see how you go with the Spesh as it's worth the comparison.

Though if you want the crazy buses experience then you just need to test the bikes up by the main road just bisecting the cut!

GrasB

Veteran
Road bikes do tend to be on the short side I found & if the bike feels to short with the right saddle position then you've got the wrong stem. I know swapping a component out when you buy a new bike is a bit counter intuitive but sometimes it's the only solution.

Top Bottom