Is everything cr#p nowadays ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
& - while I am on one.

Is it me or do white goods manufactures insert a microchip into every appliance that tells said appliance to spectacularly implode 1 or 2 days after warranty expires ?

Someone higher up said that a lot of things are better now than they were years ago, while they are certainly cheaper, I don't necessarily think they are better made. The fact is manufacturers don't want things to last forever. They want you to have to buy new goods, hence keeping them in business.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Buying wood is a joke. You can see it warping as you look at it. Absolute crap
Errr - you have to buy your what again ??
:whistle: :tongue::rofl:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
& - while I am on one.

Is it me or do white goods manufactures insert a microchip into every appliance that tells said appliance to spectacularly implode 1 or 2 days after warranty expires ?
I've successfully taken stuff back to Argos that's just out of warranty... namely a power drill, a DVD player and a heater. They did try to charge me an extra tenner for the DVD player as it'd gone up in price, but i stood my ground and they backed down. I guess it's down to the mood of the staff on the day.

stephec

Legendary Member
My misses' brother-in-law, married to her sister for 35 years, has always done the vacuuming at home.

Recently he told his wife that they needed a new vacuum cleaner as the 'old' one wasn't working properly.

She asked him if the bag needed changing.

He replied 'A bag!? Has the vacuum cleaner got a bag?' :eek:

:laugh:
Serves him right for doing the hoovering in the first place. :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
Not literally everything, but how much stuff now is just cr#p :sad:
White contiboard, for my bathroom top, replaced 6 months ago, the surface is just so cr#p..it looks cr#p.
Toilet seat, B&Q, not cheap...more or less the same, its deteriorated so quickly and the thing just wont bolt down anymore, it sits there skewed, annoying me.
Woodscrews with heads that shear off.
Kitchen worktop..brought in store some time ago wheni was doing my kitchen up..it didnt make it out of the carpark. Loading it in the car and noticed it wasnt bonded properly at the back. Took It straightback for a refund.
Fridges and freezers, even from 'reputable' manufacturers, with drawers that break as soon as look at them.
I just fabricated a porch in my garden with corrugated bronzed plastic sheet, £32 a go. The fixings ?..so short, you barely get 5mm of good anchorage.

So much stuff Is JUST fit for purpose..its getting ridiculous.

Yours are ?
In the old days you either built it yourself, or you saved up for something worth buying.

This usually meant poor people didn't have all the shoot they have today. Now its cheap, they do. It's cheap, because it is poor quality. And here we are.

Top Bottom