Is good or too good for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich9573

Regular
Hi All,

So i've always done exercise and been more of a runner doing some marathons etc. At the start of this year I started to get into cycling with a friend and since i've been using my old Giant Defy 1 from 2012.

I'm always looking on the 2nd hand market as i'd love an upgrade though the engine is definitely the weak point. The longest cycle i've done is 85km and on rouvy i cycled over Grandfondo Stelvio Santini 2020 is 1hr 59. Btw i'm 5ft 7, 70kg and cycle 1500km this year so far. Basically I'm pretty sure the Defy is good enough for me and wondered what you guys thought to stop me looking online xD. Also what do you think of this if you think i could upgrade:

View:
View: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/154849683224351/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ab372a550-c6f4-4e68-b242-beea8e1942b8

Thanks in advance everyone and if you have any other questions let me know.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not quite sure what you mean by ' good or too good for me' but if you want a carbon bike and you have the funds then why not?

OP
OP
R

rich9573

Regular
Sorry what I mean is I've only been cycling for a short while and would I be letting this bike down. I don't want to be these cyclist with the gear and no idea etc. My bike is only worth £350and is probably good enough for me but I can't help wishing for something better.

I guess I'm asking does this seem like a decent deal and a good level to take cycling more seriously?

Thanks for the reply.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Okay, I'd say there's no such thing as 'too good for you' or 'letting the bike down' in that context. Stop over thinking it, Just buy and enjoy it, it doesn't matter what others think.

Sorry what I mean is I've only been cycling for a short while and would I be letting this bike down.

I'm not sure that "letting a bike down" is a meaningful concept. One way to look at it is to set yourself an ambitious but achievable target - x miles or y mph - and to reward yourself with a "nicer" bike when you achieve that.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You quite often find that buying a better bike spurs a "part time" rider on to being an even keener cyclist. When you have a nicer bike you just naturally want to be on it more.
If you can afford it, and if you really like the bike, treat yourself. :okay:

OP
OP
R

rich9573

Regular
Thanks for the replies. I'm a kind of guy who's careful with money and with a 2 year old saving isn't so easy. I think I'll give it a look, looks like an awesome bike 👍

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're at all unhappy about buying secondhand I'd take a look at Decathlon's top end Van Rysel models which offer carbon frames with great specs which come in under under £2k. It won't have a fancy Italian name but are excellent VfM. Warranty is a lifetime one on the frame I think.

Top Bottom